Salvador Dali's book "50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship"

I just started reading Dali's book "50 Secrets of Magic Craftsmanship" (great title, like his paintings and other book "Diary of a Genius") in which he divulges some of his methods.

He begins by making a strong case for realism, and derides some of the art of his time, comparing the painting the painting of an actual door as superior.

Also mentions that he's give his left hand to know the recipe for Vermeer's paint mediums, lamenting that we can make an atomic bomb, but Vermeer's medium recipe is unknown.

Very interesting read so far. A very colorful character, to be sure.

Dali is one of my favorites, and I hope to learn realism well enough to be free to move towards surrealism.
Of course I have a lot of work ahead of me.
Martin_J_CraneBob_AhamMark_CarderRonna[Deleted User]

Comments

• I find it interesting that he so badly wanted Vermeer's painting medium recipe. I look forward to seeing your work. Realism or surrealism.
  • He considered Vermeer to be one of the great masters, along with Velasquez. and others.
    But, oddly he derides Bouguereau, who in my opinion, created uncannily photographic realism.
    There is definitely some oddball stuff in his book, humor, and eccentricity, but he also touches on knowing when to call a painting finished and not blending it to death, and a technique Mark mentioned, using a mirror to look at your painting.
    I look forward to posting some work, it's going to take some time, but I have most of the painting supplies, minus color checker, shadow box, palettes, lighting setup, which I'll be building when I can make extra time. Gonna keep it simple to start.