The Bouguereau painting I saw 30 years ago - still in my mind

On page 3 of "Who Painted the Dog" someone posted a painting of a lady throwing feed to chickens. I had no idea who had painted it, but the bare foot reminded me of a painting I had seen in the Denver Art Museum about 30 years ago. Isn't that weird, how I could remember a bare foot in a painting?

Anyway, it kept bugging me. I didn't know who painted the one that was in the art museum. So I was poking around in Google Land and saw that one painting again of the lady throwing feed to chickens. So I looked up just the last name, "Bouguereau." And guess what! I found the painting I had seen in the art museum 30 years ago! It was painted by the husband of the woman who had painted the lady throwing feed to the chickens. His name is William-Adolphe Bouguereau. Her name: Elizabeth Jane Gardner Bouguereau.

In the Wikipedia article for Elizabeth, it says, "She adopted his subjects, compositions and even his smooth facture, channeling his style so successfully that some of her work might be mistaken for his. In fact, she was quoted as saying, "I know I am censured for not more boldly asserting my individuality, but I would rather be known as the best imitator of Bouguereau than be nobody!"

Isn't that interesting? Here is the painting I had seen in the museum:
Castillo

Comments