Make music not war

Latest oil painting on canvas board .
dencalwhunttassieguydakmediocreartMoleMansridhargopaldewaldA_Time_To_Paint

Comments

• I see a red door, and I want it painted black.
  • The creases and overall shadows of the clothes look well-done, and the anti-war message is laudable. But I do think there is too much negative space as far as the sky in concerned. Keep it up! :)
  • Lucian said:
    The creases and overall shadows of the clothes look well-done, and the anti-war message is laudable. But I do think there is too much negative space as far as the sky in concerned. Keep it up! :)
    Thanks Lucian, yes ,will fill that negative space in , maybe with a few clouds or distant helicopters.
  • MoleMan said:
    I see a red door, and I want it painted black.
    👌😎
  • Hi cbor47

Are you ok with critique or do you prefer not?
  • Hi cbor47

Are you ok with critique or do you prefer not?
    I'm fine with critique heartofengland,  the old saying nobody's perfect. 
    heartofengland
  • Two suggestions.

The general value of the painting seems a little too light and greyed out. This causes the figure to seem a little bit disconnected from the ground. It also means the creases on the uniform look like white lines.
    I increased the black curve in Snapseed to give an indication of what it might look like. 

This would allow you more values of green for the creases and highlights.

Then again it might just be a poor photo of you painting.

The second suggestion is to play with the size and location of the items. At the moment the helicopters, pallet and bag are small and / or isolated. Increasing the size and / or overlapping elements would help create a unified scene.

I've enjoyed your previous pieces, especially the kingfisher, and you definitely have great skills. I wondered if this was a piece solely from your imagination, leading to the value and composition concerns.
  • Two suggestions.

The general value of the painting seems a little too light and greyed out. This causes the figure to seem a little bit disconnected from the ground. It also means the creases on the uniform look like white lines.
    I increased the black curve in Snapseed to give an indication of what it might look like. 

This would allow you more values of green for the creases and highlights.

Then again it might just be a poor photo of you painting.

The second suggestion is to play with the size and location of the items. At the moment the helicopters, pallet and bag are small and / or isolated. Increasing the size and / or overlapping elements would help create a unified scene.

I've enjoyed your previous pieces, especially the kingfisher, and you definitely have great skills. I wondered if this was a piece solely from your imagination, leading to the value and composition concerns.
    Many thanks heartofengland, I take your comments on board and I will be putting the painting back on the easel to do some of your suggestions, the soldier, the bag and the pallet are actually to size from the photo I painted from, the door and helicopters are from my imagination. 
  • Only do what pleases you. 

"the soldier, the bag and the pallet are actually to size from the photo I painted from"
    Oh, ok. I thought you were channeling your inner Salvador Dali. The bareness of the ground and the surrealism of the door put me in mind of his work.