Lemon - First Painting Ever

This is my first oil painting I’ve ever done, using a 4-color palette (Zorn Palette). This was done BEFORE learning the Carder method, which I have been studying for the past few months. I realize a lot of my mistakes - everything is way over-blended, there’s no brushwork visible, and a lot of my values are off. I’m setting up my studio now and hope to do another painting using his method soon. 
dakmediocreartadridriwhunttassieguyheartofenglandMichaelDosiosbonAbstractionDesertskyMoleMandencalA_Time_To_PaintAllie

Comments

• You mentioned the stuff you need to work on. Definitely respect the effort. And with minimal experience it’s not a bad painting. 
  • Good one, my first was not as good. Looking forward to your next piece.
    nic_michaels
  • adridri said:
    Good one, my first was not as good. Looking forward to your next piece.
    Thank you! 
  • You obviously have an artist's eye. I wish my first had been that good. 
    I look forward to seeing more from you.  :)
    nic_michaels
  • tassieguy said:
    You obviously have an artist's eye. I wish my first had been that good. 
    I look forward to seeing more from you.  :)
    I appreciate it!! 
  • Well done for your first piece @nic_michaels, im looking forward to seeing your future works too  :)
  • MichaelD said:
    Well done for your first piece @nic_michaels, im looking forward to seeing your future works too  :)
    Thanks a lot! 
  • Hello @nic_michaels, and welcome.  :) 

I think this being, as you indicated, your first serious adventure into oil painting you've achieved rather well. Am particularly admiring that you appear to have kept a clean working discipline intact. I feel certain that if you can stick with that principle, rather than resorting to splashing paint around loosely in the hopes of securing a happy accident, your abilities will improve steadily and solidly. And that, in turn, will help keep your enthusiasm buoyant.

One question, if I may... why did you decide on the 'Zorn' palette? He was an excellent painter and I've been admiring his work for decades, but I had a pop at that palette earlier this year and it defeated me roundly. I blame that mostly on modern (tubed) blacks. What do you think?

With kind regards, Duncan
  • MoleMan said:
    Hello @nic_michaels, and welcome.  :) 

I think this being, as you indicated, your first serious adventure into oil painting you've achieved rather well. Am particularly admiring that you appear to have kept a clean working discipline intact. I feel certain that if you can stick with that principle, rather than resorting to splashing paint around loosely in the hopes of securing a happy accident, your abilities will improve steadily and solidly. And that, in turn, will help keep your enthusiasm buoyant.

One question, if I may... why did you decide on the 'Zorn' palette? He was an excellent painter and I've been admiring his work for decades, but I had a pop at that palette earlier this year and it defeated me roundly. I blame that mostly on modern (tubed) blacks. What do you think?

With kind regards, Duncan
    Thanks so much for your kind words and advice! I appreciate it. 

I’ve heard a lot of great artists advocate for the advantages of a limited palette. As I’m just starting out, this was appealing to me for 2 reasons. 1- I didn’t want to dish out a ton of money on a ton of colors right out of the gate. And 2- I felt that working with a limited palette would help me with color mixing. The Zorn palette in particular was intriguing to me because of the way that the Ivory Black and Yellow Ochre come together to make such beautiful shades of green. It was a bit tricky mixing colors, but I have nothing to compare it to. I look forward to using the Carder palette for my next paintings :) 
    MoleMan
  • Very nice work for your 1st painting.
    nic_michaels
  • A good beginning, have you done much with acrylics in the past?
  • toujours said:
    A good beginning, have you done much with acrylics in the past?
    Thank you! And no, I’ve never worked with acrylics before (aside from some normal playful painting as a child lol) 
  • Very nice work for your 1st painting.
    Thank you very much!