Any art materials for Christmas?

Merry Christmas! Did you get any art related materials for Christmas? :)

Comments

• edited December 2022
    Merry Christmas! Yes, my stepfather who used to be a wood worker will make me the brushholder and the gurney sketch easel! We are just missing the hinges to finish it. Looks like I will upgrade the studio one step more. How about you ?
  • Merry Christmas Richard.  Yes I did get the Oil Painter’s Color Handbook by Todd Casey.  Looks like a great book. 
  • Nary a one.   Seems I shall have to buy myself something at a new year sale!
  • No. But my daughter did!  =)

Hope you each had a very enjoyable 'kill yourself with food, day', yesterday.  :)
  • Ohh! That looks nice :)

I got 2 tubes of Golden OPEN paints and some Matte Medium that I asked for. So all good here.. ;)
    MichaelD
  • Great @Richard_P:)

I bough some Golden acrylics a while ago but have yet to try them. Hope they store well for a decent time.
  • They should last a long time if stored properly (not too freezing cold or boiling hot!)
    MichaelD
  • Looks fabulous, @MichaelD. I'm envious. :)
    MichaelD
  • edited December 2022
    @MichaelD does it make coffee as well? I don't see the hole where the coffee flows from in your Ferrari 😜
    MichaelD
  • LOL @adridri =) Im sure I could have got a customised version to do that and flip into a coffee table mode if I paid more.

I can drive but dont have a car. On a UKs nurses wage its the trusty bicycle for me  :)
  • I ordered some Yupo polypropylene 144 lb (300 gm) sheets to try for oil painting. @Dencal had written about this some time ago, and it stuck like an earworm. So, when the Christmas sales started, I got some. It should arrive first week in January. I will still seal it and add some lead white ground. (Of course, I had to get some other stuff I don't need but wanted in order for the order to qualify for free shipping.)

Has anyone here used this for oil painting?  
    AbstractionMichaelD
  • I was given Langridge Cadmium Orange. Having cad red and yellow already I never bothered because I can mix it. But... I adopted Waddell's palette for portraits and since this painting has four faces I've had to mix that orange so many times... It became one more mix that I had to control to get to the end colours I wanted.
    Desertsky
  • MichaelD said:
    10 x 12 Bitterroot Light Pochade Box
    Surely it gave you a little bit of that childhood joy of Christmas. I love the way it tilts your palette up.
  • edited December 2022
    @Desertsky I did a portrait workshop in Bruges in the summer and as I didnt bring a surface to work on the teacher/artist had said in advance he could provide me with it.
    He is a hyper realist artist and works on smooth surface, which I prefer too.

This was polypropylene cut from a roll and didnt need and pre prep. I loved working on it and it is the smoothest surface I have ever worked on.

I have not yet bought any myself and it did seem quite expensive when I searched. Though its probably one of, if not the best, in terms of archival longevity.
    Desertsky
  • @Abstraction, yes I will definitely get that feeling when it arrives and as I unpack it  :)

I love the design and build too he has been making them since 2007 and is always refining and bettering them. The lid/top in this has space to store 2 panels. So I wont need extra baggage to carry the painted works home.
    Abstraction
  • edited December 2022
    @MoleMan,

Well you are right to read it wrong as it is both trusty and rusty  :)

That is very kind of you but I could not accept your generous offer as one bike is enough.

I actually have 2 but havnt used the tourer, which I traveled right around the Isles Of Sky on in 2014, for some time.

Please give it to someone more in need of it.

Yes I was based at a hospital, that had free parking for staff. I am now at a health centre but its one of those, like the main hospital here, that has been built privately and the NHS pays rent. No doubt extortionate for many years.

There has been uproar for years about staff having to pay parking at the hospital.

Me, I havnt owned a car for 30 years.

Put a few squirts of oil on that bike and you will be good to go on it yourself.

MoleMan
  • @MoleMan Looks like this bike could stand a world tour !
    MoleMan
  • ooooh yes ...I replenished all my oils in larger tubes...so exciting to receive them!
    Abstraction
  • @MoleMan, who is that handsome devil you have posed next to the bike? And what are the interesting objects hanging by a string from the handlebar? Beer cans? Old badger traps? Expired bicycle licenses? Collapsible plein air kit? You UKers are so mysterious. 
    AbstractionMoleMan
  • MichaelD - the Yupo roll was $100 US, and was thinner than the sheet. Did you notice any problems with your paintings after they were finished and cured? 
  • @Desertsky,
    The one he gave me t use I found to be quite robust, not thin or particularly thick.
    I havnt actually finished my painting as we were only there 5 day.. I haven’t noticed any issue though.

The artist Javier Arizabalo who was teaching is a professional and I would think would have scrutinised the materials that he uses.

https://www.instagram.com/javier.arizabalo.painter/ 
    Desertsky
  • @MoleMan just wanted to inform that my grandfather told me once that wanted to have a Raleigh cycle when he entered college in early 1930s. But couldn't afford one and got a Hercules from an uncle of his  :)
    MoleMan
  • edited December 2022
    I got chocolate and more chocolate, I think it counts as painting supplies tbh. Hope everyone is doing well!
    adridriAbstractionDesertsky

• I've had a battery eraser. Perfect for pulling highlights😏
    Abstraction
  • edited December 2022
    That's cruel. Posting a drawing of a mince pie foil after you've eaten the mince pie.. :(
    heartofenglandMoleMan
  • Not a thing.  Love the bike pic with the man. It's great.  Is that you?  Very distinguished. Dangerous to ride a bike here in Texas.  You're sure to get run over by an idiot driving 90.
    Abstraction
  • Desertsky

I ordered some Yupo polypropylene 144 lb (300 gm) sheets to try for oil painting. @Dencal had written about this some time ago, and it stuck like an earworm. So, when the Christmas sales started, I got some. It should arrive first week in January. I will still seal it and add some lead white ground. (Of course, I had to get some other stuff I don't need but wanted in order for the order to qualify for free shipping.)

Has anyone here used this for oil painting?  

You will love this product for oil painting. Takes everything you can throw at it. Way less expensive than canvas. Needs no prep. One word of caution  — keep fingerprints off the work surface — clean with alcohol. Archival, stable, unaffected by normal temperature and humidity ranges, smooth and uniform. If you need to store a stack of these get some silicone interleave sheets. No problems even rolling up a painting on a 3 or 4 inch roll in a mailing tube.

I coated a large Yupo sheet with a toothy acrylic (ColourFix) to take a soft pastel figure study a few false starts were easily fixed by hosing off the pastel in the garden.

Denis

Desertsky
  • Got a new titanium white brand available on Jerry's Artarma only called Great White...i've yet to try it, but if it's as good as advertised, it's a good value.