Made me chuckle…though some grains of truth.

edited December 2022 in General Discussion

Of course there are, no doubt, artist with degrees that do much better than the above suggests  :)
tassieguydewaldCBG

Comments

• I think the developments in the 19th Century - impressionism etc - were a good thing. But it's hard not to feel that something went awry in art in the 20th Century. Maybe it had something to do with academia and wealthy investors getting involved. A blank white canvas, a banana taped to a wall ... Whatever these things are supposed to express it has little to do with real art IMHO. 
    A_Time_To_PaintMichaelD
  • edited December 2022
    @tassieguy

”Blank white canvas” you say Rob ?

tut tut, that man is looking at the famous triptych of the polar bear in a snowstorm with its eyes closed.

Some may say it could have been done as a single piece, but clearly the other 2 just complete it.

:) 
    tassieguyA_Time_To_Paint
  • MichaelD

Yes risible indeed. But a cheap shot with a false association, a non sequitur.

I see art more as a manifold, evolving stream of consciousness. Art is progressing on many fronts, Forever seeking new ways to communicate thought, feeling and an idea. 

A television series (Everyone’s a Critic) running in Australia showed diverse pairs of people standing in front of diverse works of art and talking at length about their response to the works. The subjective correlative was amazing. The art took everyone in so many directions about their past, their future, relating life stories. An abstract street scene for example was merely a spring board to a dimly remembered experience as a child, whereas the other participant saw the cold heartless city.

Denis
    A_Time_To_PaintdewaldMichaelD
  • edited December 2022
    Lol :)  I guess it's because I don't have a degree in art that I find it difficult to appreciate such "works". Still, rather than as a triptych or as a single piece, I can't help feeling it would have been a stronger work if the artist had gone the whole minimalist hog and painted it on an invisible substrate. Or without a substrate at all. :)
    A_Time_To_PaintMichaelD
  • When I see what is selling for 10's and 100's of thousands of dollars, my jaw always just drops.  I don't understand it and like @tassieguy maybe it is because there is no art degree in my background either.  It always amazes me what people will purchase.  I won't let it disway me from painting in my own style.  It may not be worth 10's or 100's of thousands of dollars, but it is priceless to my own sanity to make it.  I have to think sometimes that these artists are laughing their behinds off all the way to the bank sometimes, yet at the same time I want to know their secret to selling.  
    tassieguy
  • I'm not sure. I'm thinking about the 'three way conversation' @tassieguy was talking about on another thread. I have been wondering about the difference between 'what is art' and 'what is decorative' for a while now. I believe in one of his videos Mark too highlights the fact that the subject matter is of utmost importance. What is a pretty painting if it has nothing to say? Should art be pretty, and if it is pretty, does that not distract from its message.

I don't know what a blank canvas, or a banana strapped to a wall is trying to say. What I do know is that the banana definitely has a message, but I'm not sure about the Mona Lisa.
    tassieguyMichaelD
  • We all share feelings, we just express them in different ways.
     I can imagine that The individual that ‘prepared’ the blank canvases, may have been a fine artist that was so frustrated with his lack of recognition in the art world that he entered this piece as a joke and ironically it was accepted. Artists have been known to be a little eccentric at times. 🥴
    The thing that is frustrating to us is the apparent lack of study, research, knowledge, practice, hard work etc. and craftsmanship getting so much attention. 

I applied for an artist’s residency at a small gallery this past spring around the same time I joined this forum. I entered the required 8 works I had done, answered all the essays etc. and was turned down. Most of the artists that were accepted did have Art degrees and much more experience than I, but I must admit that I was not impressed with the work of most. Most of the work seemed to me to be  more like ideas being expressed in a very casual manner. For example, filled out post-it notes stuck to a board with rantings of inequality and prejudices. More of a statement than artwork. 
    I felt my work was just too normal or commonplace perhaps. That said, I totally respect the artist’s that we’re accepted. 
    tassieguyMichaelDdewald
  • edited December 2022
    Interesting contributions here, yes.

I am not particularly in agreement with the sentiments of the poster, but found it amusing.

I guess when it comes down to it anything can be art, its down to the beholder.

I dont really get the blank canvases, and f course ive made a little joke about them, but not wishing to be unkind. @Whunt has made some points on that which have widened my thoughts on it.

I understand fully that art is subjective and should appreciate that just because something doesnt do it for me it may be the opposite for others.

Another comical scenarios popped into my head about the blank canvases that the artist had received a delivery of 3 blank canvases he had bought from an art supply shop.
    They were in the artists hallway and so was a similar looking parcel of 3 completed works.

The courier arrived to pick up the finished works to take to the gallery and picked up the wrong parcel.

Though they though it a departure from the artist's usual work the gallery loved the blank canvas works and so did many of the public that came to see them.

The end
    whuntdewaldtassieguy
  • A banana duct taped to the wall (“Comedian” by Maurizio Cattelan) sold for $120,000. Interestingly the proof of authenticity for the work of art is not the banana or tape. It is paperwork … a certificate of authenticity and an elaborate set of instructions for proper installation. I also read that at one exhibit of the Comedian, another artist pulled the banana off the wall and ate it.

MoleManMichaelD
  • It's for people who have too much money and pay it to have the latest craze and be fashionable.
  • This discussion has put me in mind of Yoko Ono, she married John Lennon. He was in one of our local bands that you may have heard of (im originally from Liverpool) called The Beatles.  :)

One of Yoko`s early pieces  of art was a board with nail and hammer.

The viewer was invited to knock a nail into the board with said hammer.

I can’t help wondering if, when Yoko tried this herself, she accidentally hit her thumb.

Thus her unique style of singing was born.

=) 
    adridriGTOMoleManAbstraction