Reworked Imaginative Landscape

This is an imaginary landscape, meaning I wasn't working from a photo or real life. I posted it a while back with some feedback, but never liked the painting, so changed quite a bit. That said. I tried to make the painting as 'real' as I know how too. I realize the sight focuses on realism, and this one of the closest to realism I have done so far. Still I would like very much for some constructive feedback on composition, color, and/or overall thoughts. I took several photos, this one came out the closest but the oil colors look flat compared to the 16x20 canvas. I didn't do any editing other than cropping.  Thanks, Bill
dakmediocrearttassieguyadridrisridhargopal

Comments

• The clouds are probably the strongest part in terms of realism. The fence line is nice too and so are the barren trees. It could be me, but the perspective does give distance, but maybe not enough. The colors in the background seems to not have enough atmospheric perspective.  Overall I think it’s a strong painting and I also really like the idea of doing decent size paintings like this one from the imagination. 
    whunt
  • Bill
    Not bad for admitted primitive. I shows that you can visualize.

I sounds like your goal is to paint realism. If so start with learning to draw correctly. Not to a style but learning scale, proportion and perspective. Plenty of internet resources for this. I highly recommend Andrew Loomis Creative Illustration. It's available on Amazon and you can find if in pdf for free on line. It's from the 30's but the training is solid. Really this is straight forward stuff. It was my textbook in art school as an illustration student in the late 70s.
    whunt
  • edited November 22
    This is entirely from imagination and is quite impressive for that. Better than I could do from imagination alone.

I like the combination of colors and, with a few tweaks to the verge on the right side of the road, the composition could work quite well.  However, the painting as a whole would benefit from having more depth.  You can create depth with the use of atmospheric perspective - by making the tree clad hills lighter/bluer/grayer as they recede into the background rather than keeping the values and chroma the same in the foreground and background.

It's wonderful to be able to paint something purely from imagination. But if your goal is to paint realism, you might benefit by practicing painting real landscapes from life or from photos. That would sharpen your observation skills, your drawing skills, and build your colour matching and mixing skills. These sharpened skills would serve you well in painting imaginary landscapes, too.
    JerryWwhunt
  • edited November 22
    Hello. I think it's a nice composition. I would not be able to do that without a model!
    If realism is what you are after, here are a few comments. Background trees attract the eye first for me, before the house which I think is your focal point, because you have more color contrast there, and lot of details. Background is usually treated in support to you focal point, see for instance below how Richard Schmid does this in a similar "house in nature" view. Just softening some edges there and use a little bit of selective color contrast toward your focal point could enhance the pic.
    As pointed out by the others above, atmospheric perspective would make us see less details in this tree line, yet you have as much details in the background than the closer foreground, which kills the perspective the sensation of distance, and the foreground grass is flat and without detail. Maybe ad some sugestion of detail in foreground. For that you could use broken color : some patches of different colors with similar value without drawing each individual grass. See for instance streeton and Schmid below how they apply this to the foreground and the less detail in background tree lines. The contrast diminishes as your eyes look further away. This piece also illustrates perfectly what @tassieguy said above in my opinion.

tassieguywhuntJerryW
  • edited November 22
    If you are into realistic landscapes, field studies really help practice the fondamental.

• @dakmediocreart - Thank you for your response, I appreciate your input and see/understand the issue with not having enough Atmospheric perspective.

@KingstonFineArt - Thanks for advice, very much appreciated. I will look up Andrew Loomis Creative Illustration as you suggested. 

@tassieguy - Thanks for your input, and comments, much appreciated.

@adridri - thank you for your input, reference phots and suggestions, much appreciated. 

I very much appreciate your honest critiques, I agree with your comments and will hopefully learn from them. I am not taking enough time to set the picture up correctly from the beginning, I jump in and hope for the best and its not working. Without a reference, I change the scene repeatedly and become confused with what I had in mind to begin with!
    The next one will be from a photo, I have been taking quite a few.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and knowledge. 

Bill

• edited November 22
    Your painting and the colored background trees reminded of two paintings from mark boedge. He is somebody who does use colorful background without having them overdone or taking too much attention. maybe some inspiration in there, I just love how he paints. Lots of soft edges. Just thought I'd share them with you.
    I would not say it's not working. It is working in many aspects, and I love it. It just has few things that can improve the realism but hey, it's a life time job. Your pic has poetry in it and rythm. It's great. 
    tassieguywhunt
  • edited November 22
    I must check out Mark Boedge, @adridri. Those two paintings are awesome. And they are very good examples of landscape realism with a painterly touch. The second one shows clearly the use of atmospheric perspective as the wooded hills fade and lose chroma as they recede into the distance.

You're doing great, @whunt. Your imaginary scenes demonstrate that you have a good feel for landscape. Keep painting.
  • A follower of the Putnam Painters Richard Schmid. He is a brilliant painter.