Comments

• Great brushwork and texture here.

@dakmediocreart, you have posted many paintings for critique and received a good deal of feedback from myself and other members here.  But you have not (as far as I can see, which is not far because your profile is private) given feedback on others' work. You are relatively new here so maybe you feel a bit shy about giving feedback, but there's no need to. All feedback is greatly appreciated. Providing feedback helps the receiver and it helps the giver by prompting them to think about what it is that makes a painting work or not work. So don't feel shy about giving feedback. Giving and receiving is what the forum is all about.  :)
    MichaelD
  • Didn’t realize it was private. I comment every once in a while if I feel like I have something worth adding. Thank you for all your comments. 
  • I must admit, I liked your first work that you posted, but decided to keep quiet on your last ones. But this one, I really really like it. One can easily guess whose style your are trying to follow, and this is most close, though that is not essential. Great job!

I would not include the dog or move him a bit away from the corner, but that is not important and I guess the dog is important to you and that's the main thing.
    dakmediocreart
  • outremer said:
    I must admit, I liked your first work that you posted, but decided to keep quiet on your last ones. But this one, I really really like it. One can easily guess whose style your are trying to follow, and this is most close, though that is not essential. Great job!

I would not include the dog or move him a bit away from the corner, but that is not important and I guess the dog is important to you and that's the main thing.
    Yeah I agree on the dog, he was in a better position and you could see my hand, but the canvas was a little “smushed” and I had to adjust him. But he’s definitely my buddy so I had to include him haha.
  • @dakmediocreart
    I may seem harsh but I'm confused. The Post Modern brushwork doesn't work for me. The colors a not creating new color. That is the appeal of Van Gogh and others. You could achieve the overall color with juxtaposed 'purer' color. Too earth toney for me. The electric blue shirt it again too much. Good drawing though.
  • I like it.  You definitely have the Vincent vibe going on.
    dakmediocreart
  • @dakmediocreart
    I may seem harsh but I'm confused. The Post Modern brushwork doesn't work for me. The colors a not creating new color. That is the appeal of Van Gogh and others. You could achieve the overall color with juxtaposed 'purer' color. Too earth toney for me. The electric blue shirt it again too much. Good drawing though.
    I think the point here was more so long as the value is close the actual color is less important. Maybe I didn’t succeed in doing that, but I still think it’s a true concept.
  • I thought this was very Van Gogh also.  Lots of texture.
    Van Gogh, Cezanne, and Signac are definitely big influences. 
    Yes, and have you noticed similarly that he only has one ear?  ;)

Rgds, Duncan  :)
  • MoleMan said:
    I thought this was very Van Gogh also.  Lots of texture.
    Yes, and have you noticed similarly that he only has one ear?  ;)

Rgds, Duncan  :)
    Hahahaha that was completely a coincidence. That’s for viewing.
  • @dakmediocreart i love the brush work and colors very much, please keep posting! The blue of the shirt stands out too much to my opinion that is all... 
  • JerryW said:
    @dakmediocreart i love the brush work and colors very much, please keep posting! The blue of the shirt stands out too much to my opinion that is all... 
    thanks for the compliment and it’s about 50/50 on whether people like the shirt. It’s a real shirt that I have and it really is like an electric blue which is why I just kind of went with it. Next time I’ll tone back the vibrant-ness. 
  • Great stuff with the bold Van Gogh brushwork!  I like the jacket and face in keeping with this style.  Would be nice to keep this consistent with the strokes in the hat and background (upper left shades) to keep the viewer's eye dancing with the deep, contrasting touches you've got going throughout - they otherwise stand out for being a bit flat in comparison.  But, hey, this is a fun painting to look at.  The blue is a hot socket you might want to re-balance, but I love the style and where you're going with it.