Portrait practice with limited palette

Hey all!

I am back after a while with a (relatively) quick practice using 3 colours only. I have to set up a better environment for painting in my new place, but for the time being I can do small projects like this one. Unfortunately the highlights turned out flat and not light enough - seems like my patience ran out and mixed them too cool and/or dark.

Any feedback is appreciated!

CBGtassieguydencalsridhargopalAbstractionMoleManJerryWallforChristA_Time_To_PaintdewaldMikeDerby

Comments

• It's remarkable because, although you only used three colours, there seems to be a lot more. The drawing is great, and the values look accurate even though you say you got the highlights wrong. We can't compare with the reference, so it looks right.
  • Great result from a great exercise. Ultramarine, burnt sienna and white? I did two when I was learning with prussian, burnt sienna & white but not a portrait. Really impressive.
  • I think it looks really good.  We seem to always be our on worst critic.
  • tassieguy said:
    It's remarkable because, although you only used three colours, there seems to be a lot more. The drawing is great, and the values look accurate even though you say you got the highlights wrong. We can't compare with the reference, so it looks right.

Very kind words, thank you!
  • Great result from a great exercise. Ultramarine, burnt sienna and white? I did two when I was learning with prussian, burnt sienna & white but not a portrait. Really impressive.

Thank you! It is always good to simplify things and even though there were just a few colors to use, it did give me a lot of headache to complete it:) I love using transp. oxide red in general, so that is my third color, but it could be done with others as you say. I actually tried another excercise before this by mixing the black from red and blue, and trying to paint a sort of monochromatic painting of a sculpture.
    Abstraction
  • I think it looks really good.  We seem to always be our on worst critic.

Thank you a lot! You are right, I actually don't have a single painting so far that I'd consider complete or great overall as I am aware of the mistakes I have made. In the end this is what makes (or should make :) ) the next painting better than the last one
    tassieguy
  • Very well done.  Beautiful job...
  • Working with only three colors seems like a fascinating exercise, and the result is impressive. The only place where I'd say the highlights seem a bit off is the neck, but it's hardly noticeable.
  • Very well done.  Beautiful job...

That's very kind of you, thank you!
  • Lucian said:
    Working with only three colors seems like a fascinating exercise, and the result is impressive. The only place where I'd say the highlights seem a bit off is the neck, but it's hardly noticeable.

Thank you! I am glad that it is the only place where it seems off:)
    I strongly recommend trying this exercise, it is fun.
  • Great job especially using only three colors.  I also thought there were more colors than that used to paint this.  This is so good for a quick painting/study.  The highlights look fine to me.
  • Great job especially using only three colors.  I also thought there were more colors than that used to paint this.  This is so good for a quick painting/study.  The highlights look fine to me.

Thank you so much!