WIP WHIPPET HOUND

judithjudith -
edited November 7 in Post Your Paintings

I am a slow methodical painter....this is my first animal painting in oils. Many decisions about how much hair , mottled values & colours, purples and greys and how to get the carpet colours in their prroper pattern place as well as getting the perspectives correct. Have blurred the background as it's too busy, I think it works well....still need to lighten up floor area where it meets the  carpet

Suffice to say I cannot process so many concepts at the same time so bought some others colours in the Stabilo range and outlined  the carpet colours in pencil for a guide. phew that helped.

This is my 6yo whippet hound Seamus...but sometimes he's shameLESS!!

working from the monitor unfortunately as the prints that came from the printer were way too saturated...asked for less saturation closer to image but got too much blue in them again....thy are too expensive to play around like that soooo...

I've now purchased my own photo printer to at least have some control

If you see anything glaring can you give us a "hoi there" before it's too late!!?? thank you

(the pot with the rice is in the background pulled out of storage for completion finally...had to restretch it to better size frame...thought I got rid of that ages ago!! heheh)

whuntGTOMichaelDallforChristdencal

Comments

• It's a brilliant pose! You seem to be accurately capturing everything. Nothing is ever too late - I've spent ages convincing myself of this because I've always felt like when i paint something it's a happy accident. But I've learnt I can move an eye or anything without too much fuss. The ear on our right angles down slightly more in the photo like it goes around the corner and then straight. It's not a big deal if you had decided to change it - unless it's the angle of the photo. I did two portrait classes and she taught me to draw/ paint curves as a set of short straight lines like connected dashes - something I had seen and resisted - but realised then that our mind doesn't observe the subtleties otherwise. At a later point those dashes just disappear into the curve.
  • Love the pose, @Judith. And the dog is so cute. The carpet is going to be awesome. The painting is coming along very nicely. I'm looking forward to seeing it when finished.  :)
  • Absolutely fantastic- not able to give any meaningful advice. 
  • What a great doggy portrait.  Seamus is a beautiful dog.  I also love how he is posed with is favorite toy.  Being slow and methodical when painting is really the way to go.  Hope you will post the finished painting.  I can't make any suggestions. 

I'm looking for a good printer myself.  This forum suggested Epson with the eco tank $250-$300 U.S.  May I ask which printer you went with?  
  • Great start on the Seamus portrait.   (BTW The water pouring into the cup in the painting on the wall looks awesome)

• thank you all SO MUCH!

so i am doing this in a totally different way to my usual darks through lights ...laying down values except the mid tones...no colour so far just darks, browns, blues and lights...I have never done that way before but it is amazing how much easier it is...it helps give me reference...I saw how some others here do that and I didnt mean to do it but I just have so much trouble processing all the information otherwise I ended up doing it spontaneously and LOOOOVED it.
    I cannot visualise so I can't imagine in pictures and I seem to have a problem processing image in information
    Often I can't "see" how the image is made up , the accurate shapes and angles, even where the lines go etc until I paint some and then have to go back, erase and do again...is this an issue for others...???
    It seems to be the way I learn...so this is an ideal method in this image...he will have his colour mostly in the midtones it seems

PRINTERS: I bought a fantastic quality printer...CANON PIXMA TS6360a...only $NZ150 on special...it was over a 1000 last year ..and the photo print quality is easily as good as the commercial printer, the photos reflect the colour from my computer very accurately!!

tassieguy
  • This is so ooo nice.  I know it will be a treasure.
    allforChrist
  • that carpet!! I would not know how to paint that. Nice composition, I'm impatient to see how it turns out.
  • What a great doggy portrait.  Seamus is a beautiful dog.  I also love how he is posed with is favorite toy.  Being slow and methodical when painting is really the way to go.  Hope you will post the finished painting.  I can't make any suggestions. 

I'm looking for a good printer myself.  This forum suggested Epson with the eco tank $250-$300 U.S.  May I ask which printer you went with?  
    PRINTERS: I bought a fantastic quality printer...CANON PIXMA TS6360a...only $NZ150 on special...it was over a 1000 last year ..and the photo print quality is easily as good as the commercial printer, the photos reflect the colour from my computer very accurately!!

• @judith Thats not a bad price at all.
    judith