Comments

• The title is “brooding”
  • She does not look pleased. There's some good texture and brushwork happening in parts of this.
  • @dakmediocreart the brushwork is very nice, there is a strong expression in the subject, i think especially the eyes are very well executed!
  • edited November 2
    @dakmediocreart I think it is a fine painting, and I would very happily enjoy displaying it prominently on any wall in my home.

How often I have seen something very like that look in a woman's face.

Far too powerful an image however to be titled simply as 'Brooding'. @tassieguy suggests she does not look pleased. That's true, however I'd take it a little further than that. She evidences strong emotions; anger; perhaps frustration; teetering maybe on the cusp of insanity. She's beautiful - she's real. A real woman. You can believe in and trust a woman possessing those qualities, even if she rips your throat out. Far more solid than a woman that hides behind a thinly-described smile. Think Leonardo's Mona Lisa - that thin smile - you can't see inside her.

What encouraged you to paint her in the way you did? What is the story? The painting is redolent with story. What were you saying in your head?

It says - to me - "Where the *^#! were you last night... and the night before! And I still love you"

I feel inclined to suggest you rename the painting to something like that. But if you prefer to keep it brief - and if you are a husband - you could probably get away with just the final sentence of that proposal.

Kind rgds, Duncan
    (I meant what I said about the painting, by the way.)
    dakmediocreartJerryW
  • I agree with Duncan.  There is a lot more than brooding going on there.  
    Every guy in the world has seen that look.  We can all relate to it.

JerryWMoleMan
  • edited November 3
    The model was my wife. The idea for the expression and the painting as a whole was to convey the discontent and disconnect between the sexes that I feel has become a staple of the millennial generation. She’s disgusted, hurt, angered, and because of that there is an angst or anxiety present. Maybe she doesn’t even understand who to be angry with. My wife for her part, isn’t a fan of the expression, but she was born in the USSR and grew up without a family. I remember her telling me a story about having won a stand barefoot in the snow contest at 5 at an orphanage in what is now Ukraine. She’s now become a fairly successful business woman and has that Slavic flair in her personality. I chose the title “brooding” because it was the most simple word I could think of to convey the tumultuous expression. I was somewhat inspired by Goya’s depictions of the insane. I appreciate all of your comments
    JerryWMoleMan