What better time to learn to pain than in one’s 50’s!

Hello everyone.

I wanted to be an artist when I was young. Even started taking art classes in college before life went a bit awry for me and scuttled my plans. Now I’m not young and my wife surprised me with all of the basics to get into oil painting. My first painting (a leaf from my yard) turned out better than I expected.

I’d like to keep these early practice painting so that some day, when I’m a GOOD painter, I can look back and see my progress.  Most of these early ones will be on sheets from a pad of canvasses.  Any advice for a new painter on how best to store them? Right now I’m just letting them dry for a week and then stacking them. Seem like maybe there’s a better way.  Thanks in advance. :)

Happy to have found Mark Carder’s videos and website, and this forum.  It’s a pleasure to be here!
GTOA_Time_To_Painttassieguy

Comments

• Welcome to the forum.  I am not sure how to store paintings like that.  It is interesting to look back on older paintings.  I have some that I thought were great at the time but would not show them now.
    dandrewriley
  • dencaldencal -
    edited September 26
    dandrewriley

Welcome to you.

Oil paint will need six months to cure to a fully polymerised skin. Thick paint needs years to cure.
    The danger in stacking is they may stick together and break up the surface when pulled apart.
    Suggest interleaving with a silicone coated paper.

Silicone release paper is a very handy paper that will not stick to art work. This parchment like paper will withstand heat applications without sticking or damaging art work, and is commonly used in dry mounting presses, release liners when working with waxes and adhesives, and for wrapping tacky or wet artwork,. White in color, silicone impregnated so both sides are treated, and has a basis weight of 27 lb.

Silicone release paper is sold in both rolls and sheets.

Denis

• Welcome to the forum!  It is a good idea to keep what you paint in the beginning so you can see how far you have progressed as time goes by.  Your first painting came out very nice!  I have not stored paper canvas sheets and believe Denis has the best information.  Looking forward to your future work.