The Mountain from Kingston Beach - OOC - 20" X 38"

edited September 2 in Post Your Paintings

This is how the mountain, Kunanyi, looks from Kingston Beach which is about 15 minutes drive from my place. I liked all the sparkles on the water and the blue mountain rising behind the town. This is not a good photo of the painting. The  camera made the sky too bright and the clouds too dark. Also, the colour doesn't show up well and subtle gradations in value are lost.  But you get the idea. I tried to adjust it in Affinity Photo but probably made it worse. I'll take a better photo outside in sunshine tomorrow. 

Thanks for taking a look. All comments/critiques/suggestions greatly appreciated.  :)

PS It looks better bigger so right click and open in new tab.
A_Time_To_PaintwhuntGTOCBGMichaelDMarinos_88AbstractionArtGalallforChristjoydeschenesGary_Heathdewald

Comments

• This is beautiful and realize the original is probably just magnificent.  I did just what you said before reading your comment about opening image in a new tab.  This is stunning @tassieguy, as always.  I love the atmosphere and it's such a serene scene.  Can almost hear the waves lapping against the side of a boat or on the shore.  
  • Excellent work! Love the highlights on the water and the shadows on land.
  • The water and atmospheric effect is perfect.  I also like the light off the top of the building in the middle left.  That light has a nice halo effect.  The only adjustment I see is the that bright spot to the right of the evergreen in the middle right.  It is way too bright.
    I thought this was the photo at first when I looked at it.  The sparkle in that water is so real.
  • CBGCBG -
    edited September 3
    Wow.  You really captured that blinding light and the beauty of the day!  Well done!
  • This is my favorite so far.  Beautiful.
  • @tassieguy

Lovely work Rob,
    I like how you have handled the light and it  shimmering on the water and the clouds are great.
  • Looks great! I like the way you have the warms of the yellows and the cool of the blues in the water, they cancel each other out overall very well.

Also.. houses, cars? What have you done with tassieguy?? :D
  • edited September 3
    Cheers, @Richard_P:)

I wanted to challenge myself with something I don't usually paint. I thought the buildings and cars would be hard but they weren't too bad. I just forget they were houses and cars and concentrated on putting strokes of the correct shape, value and colour in the right place and the cars and buildings sort of just happened on their own. The next one will be pure nature - no buildings or cars. Not even a track. It's the wilderness at the bottom of my garden.  :)
    Richard_PallforChrist
  • That's a bit different from what you've painted so far Rob, unless I'm wrong. I like it lot! like the way you've painted the cars and houses, i really get that sense of distance. I've said it before, you've got some patience. all these brush strokes wow.. 
    excellent!!
    allforChrist
  • Thanks, @Marinos_88. Yes, it's a bit different from my usual subject matter. I've always been afraid of painting buildings, cars (and people) but it wasn't too hard after all.  They are not perfect but folks seem to recognize that they are buildings and cars.  I'm happy with that.  :)
  • It's so beautiful @tassieguy . I  love the yellow reflections  on water. 
  • Painting into the light like that is really difficult. You have to make a lot of decisions to decide how to handle the glare. You've done this really well. I feel like I need sunnies to look at it. Love the very cool shadows on mountain and roofs. Some lovely impressionism in the water with wonderful observation of value. and values here and throughout the painting creates the moodiness and realistic sense that there is atmosphere hanging and diffusing and filtering light and colour.
  • edited September 4
    Thanks very much, @Abstraction:)
  • judithjudith -
    edited September 4
    ahhhhh home @tassieguy.... I actually lived on the esplanade there many years ago

this is a departure from your usual style...not just subject but approach, I love both styles but I suppose they call this more painterly?

You are an excellent craftsman and combine such with fine sensibility in this
  • edited September 4
    @judith, you used to live at Kingston Beach? Wow! I never thought I'd meet another Tasmanian here. How wonderful. You've made my day. 

And I'm so glad that you recognize the scene and think the painting works.  It was a somewhat new approach for me. I'm using softer brushes and more fluid paint over semi-dry darker layers so that I can lay in strokes without them mixing on the canvas very much.  That's how I got the sparkle on the water. I'll continue doing it this way in the next one.

Thanks very much for your kind words, Judith.  :)
  • tassieguy said:
    @judith, you used to live at Kingston Beach? Wow! I never thought I'd meet another Tasmanian here. How wonderful. You've made my day. 

And I'm so glad that you recognize the scene and think the painting works.  It was a somewhat new approach for me. I'm using softer brushes and more fluid paint over semi-dry darker layers so that I can lay in strokes without them mixing on the canvas very much.  That's how I got the sparkle on the water. I'll continue doing it this way in the next one.

Thanks very much for your kind words, Judith.  :

yes Dad's family came as convicts (mum's family were clerks and merchants) and are all still there except for me and my siblings. Mum and Dad retired to Kingston when I was in my early twenties.   I'm in New Zealand now.
    And you're down Kettering way...beautiful country around there...there was a classical concert down at the Hall there on Sunday I hear.

Where did you get this shot from? were you out on a boat? or does the road come round that far before going up the hill I can't remember? That large Norfolk pine has been there forever if I recall correctly

Really love the painting

• Cheers, @Judith.  Sounds like my family - on one side were gold diggers who washed up around Bendigo in Victoria and, on the other side, transportees. 

I know it looks like the view in the painting is from a boat off the beach, but I took the photo from the breakwater next to the launching ramp at the Yacht club. It's a lovely spot. I also did a series on the rocks down there for a show I had two years ago. I keep going back there because it's so photogenic. But you have some gorgeous scenery in NZ, too.  I didn't know about the classical concert at Kettering. If I had I probably would have gone as I love classical music. For such a small place there's a very vibrant arts and music scene here.  :)
    judith