Bouguereau Copy/experiment nude

Heavily inspired, but with some differences. The face being a completely different model. Thoughts?
dencal

Comments

• dakmediocreart

The Master is renowned for his glowing, and blended, glazed flesh tones.

20 x 24 inch?

Acrylic, oil?

Title?

Can’t find the original of this painting.

The upper heel and foot needs some attention.

The hands (always difficult) are dissimilar sizes.

Nice work.

Denis

• edited August 25
    @dakmediocreart, you asked for our thoughts on your painting.

I looked through all of the Bouguereau nudes I could find and the one below looks something like what you may have used as a basis for your painting. But, if this is not the one, it doesn't matter because all his bathers have the same Bouguereau look. 

Can I ask what you were trying to achieve in your painting? It puts me in mind of Cezanne's bathers rather than Bouguereau's. And that's ok, Cezanne was great, but I'm not sure that that is what you intended. I take it that you were not aiming for anatomical exactitude or a high degree of realism.

Those are my thoughts. Perhaps you can tell us some more about what you had in mind when you painted this.  :)

• edited August 25
    dencal said:
    dakmediocreart

The Master is renowned for his glowing, and blended, glazed flesh tones.

20 x 24 inch?

Acrylic, oil?

Title?

Can’t find the original of this painting.

The upper heel and foot needs some attention.

The hands (always difficult) are dissimilar sizes.

Nice work.

Denis

It is 24x36 and in oils using cad red, cad yellow, flake white replacement, pthalo blue, and yellow ochre and I believe ivory black for the hair.
  • tassieguy said:
    @dakmediocreart, you asked for our thoughts on your painting.

I looked through all of the Bouguereau nudes I could find and the one below looks something like what you may have used as a basis for your painting. But, if this is not the one, it doesn't matter because all his bathers have the same Bouguereau look. 

Can I ask what you were trying to achieve in your painting? It puts me in mind of Cezanne's bathers rather than Bouguereau's. And that's ok, Cezanne was great, but I'm not sure that that is what you intended. I take it that you were not aiming for anatomical exactitude or a high degree of realism.

Those are my thoughts. Perhaps you can tell us some more about what you had in mind when you painted this.  :)

I taught myself to draw and paint at least at a beginner level with a couple books while in law school. Basically I’ve always tried to paint as much from my mind as possible. Here I was trying to paint something vibrant. The anatomy ended up being off, the hands especially. I paint wet on wet and always paint whatever size canvas in a single setting. This one was about 10 hours straight through. Impressionism, fauvism and I guess to some degree realism is what I’m aiming at. 
  • @dakmediocreart

This is from The Clark Museum in western Massachusettes. One of the man's masterpieces. 

I taught myself to draw and paint at least at a beginner level with a couple books while in law school. Basically I’ve always tried to paint as much from my mind as possible. Here I was trying to paint something vibrant. The anatomy ended up being off, the hands especially. I paint wet on wet and always paint whatever size canvas in a single setting. This one was about 10 hours straight through. Impressionism, fauvism and I guess to some degree realism is what I’m aiming at. 
    I would say you should focus on drawing. Take some intensive life drawing classes taught buy a traditionalist instructor. Work your way up to painting figures from life. It is a commitment. Drawing is the key.