À la prima

edited August 15 in General Discussion
So I painted this  À la prima after a detailed sketch I used  proportional divider , and  tried  my best to color match. Thoughts. I’m pretty sure I’ll go back and do finishing touches where I messed up.  Can anyone help me with a title they are Apple tree flowers by the way from my backyard.  also I have been painting for a year and a half using Mark Carder’s  methods.  happy painting everybody paint or die !
dencalArtGaltassieguywhuntheartofengland

Comments

• paintordie

Glass seems a tad too over highlighted.
    Blossom petals need darker shadows and depth cues.

It is a fine piece of work.

Denis
    paintordie
  • My question is at this point do I let it fully dry and then go back in to make adjustments ? I’m also thinking of glazing in the dark values once fully dry ! Thoughts . 
  • paintordie

If semi dry, any brushwork has the potential to break up skinned over paint, making a mess. So let dry.
    If your itching to go use a fat mix and a light touch.

Each glaze coat will need to be fully dry before the next coat. Suggest Liquin, a modified soy oil, to speed drying.

Denis
    paintordie
  • 'A Taste of Spring'
    Then you can do another painting of the apples & old leaves called
    'A Taste of Autumn

That's pretty inane I know but it might get you thinking. Why did you choose to paint those flowers? Does the apple tree have any memories or meaning for you?

The petals are lovely.
    paintordie
  • Thank you heartofengland . The main reason I painted the flowers from the Apple tree is nobody else is doing it . The apples are still green and too small and I’m not sure the apples will be any good this year anyways , so I took what I could from it. 
  • I don't think your painting needs much adjustment.The highlight on the left side of the glass vase helps draw the eye back up to the blossoms. Apple blossoms are very delicate: be careful about adding too much depth.
    As to your apples: removing all but one or two per cluster will make the remaining one(s) grow bigger.
    paintordie