Color Mixing/Painting Disconnect

I've been watching the youtube vids again and think I have a disconnect in info between mixing and painting. The color mixing video and painting the cup video I understand each one separately. Here's the problem I'm having...

When Mark is mixing a string for the cup, he gets the correct value, adjusts the color, finds the spot on the cup where that value and color matches..........then goes on to the next value in the string. Easy enough.

What happens 3 hours later when you finally start painting the cup? There is no way I'm going to remember where that spot was. lol

Do you go through most of that again with the color picker when you start to paint? Or how do you make the connection hours later to that color in that spot?

I have the portrait dvd but didn't get the still life dvd. Maybe I need it too?
rrizo

Comments

• You do go through it again, but I was surprised at how simple it was. Some of it I remembered, others it just makes sense because one step usually ends up being painted adjacent to another.

BTW, when I do my steps, I also keep my steps for the shadow side of an object separate from my steps for the lit side, as though each is a separate object, and I never mix the groups. This helps me to remember the lesson I learned in drawing: the lightest value on the shadow side of a mass will always be darker than the darkest value on the lit side of that mass.
    [Deleted User]rgr
  • Watching it again. I think I get it now. Old habits die hard. I'm use to mixing and painting on the fly. And thanks for the dark/light value tip. Makes sense to me.
    Martin_J_Crane[Deleted User]

• BTW, when I do my steps, I also keep my steps for the shadow side of an object separate from my steps for the lit side, as though each is a separate object, and I never mix the groups. This helps me to remember the lesson I learned in drawing: the lightest value on the shadow side of a mass will always be darker than the darkest value on the lit side of that mass.

Thanks for the reminder, I was not thinking about this right now that I started mixing

Martin_J_Crane