Projectors

What is the best projector for your drawing? Thank you Ann
Lucian

Comments

• Just trying to speed things up. 🤗
    Lucian
  • Hey Ann,

give us some more info about what you're trying to do..

if you Google "tracing projector" you will be able to find some. 

You can get something like that:
    Artograph EZ Tracer Art Projector

it's a simple projector,it needs a bulb to project the image.

There's also other ways to copy a drawing depending on what you're working on. 

• You'd have to place it in the absolute perfect spot and angle to avoid distortion. Similar when we take photos of paintings.
  • You'd have to place it in the absolute perfect spot and angle to avoid distortion. Similar when we take photos of paintings.
    Any tips on how to find this perfect spot?
  • edited August 7
    Denis that's a helpful diagram although that's how to remove it in photoshop. For projecting to sketch you have to move projector and painting.
    I don't use this method and I'm too lazy to google, so here are just my own problem solving ideas. If you're projecting and going to sketch in your painting -
    1. STEP 1: Download an image of grid of squares and make it the same dimensions as your canvas: 80x55mm? Grid should be the same size exactly. In changing size keep the proportion as squares so you can measure them if you want to tweak the projection.
    2. STEP 2: Fix canvas so it is perfectly vertical and horizontal. It can't be tilted up or down or to one side or tilted so that left or right are lower than other side. Use a spirit level to check all of those: Along top. Along side. Along front. All level. 
    3. STEP 3: Set up so projector is centre to centre: You need projector positioned so that it projects to the exact centre - both vertically and horizontally.  It must be on a level surface, not tilted. Use a spirit level for table, anything else you use to raise height and ultimately the projector. Not tilted up or down or left or right. Approximate for now.
    4. STEP 4: Project the grid image to precisely cover canvas: For now, just approximate and project the grid image to precisely cover canvas. Some projectors might have a zoom. If not, move projector backwards (if too big) or forwards (if too small).
    5. STEP 5: Correct errors: Perspective and skew can be caused by several things. Review STEP 2 Canvas is level. Review STEP 3: Projector is level. If these are correct see instructions in diagram. In the end you should be able to measure the squares and they should all be the same.
    STEP 6: Remove grid image and replace with your painting image: If same size and nothing moves it should be very close.
    Ok, my brain is foggy due to illness, so open to corrections.
    tassieguyDesertsky
  • edited August 9
    Different types of projectors will have different distortions, and to different degrees. 

I use different approaches to putting the composition on the paper:
    1. Free hand
    2. Hand drawn grid
    3. Simple light projector such as @Marinos_88 suggested. Note that the heat generated by the bulb will easily damage your image in the projector. Really.  
    4. A Viewsonic projector, which is very accurate when taking the steps @Abstration gave. I have put small drafting tape markers on a wall which gives the registration corners for images. The projector is placed on a table opposite of the markered wall. No heat. This is an electronic projector which you connect to your computer where the image actually resides. There are many brands and types of these electronic projectors. Mine can be used to project a movie, for example. 
  • I have the perfect 'Lucy'. I use it to hang my shirts to dry. Great for the illustrator with a big workload. But for painting fine..ish art. Where the drawing is so important in the understanding of the painting. Nah. But great for drying shirts.