This was my first oil painting ever

Oil on canvas, 39 x 62 inches. I wanted to start out on a huge canvas, for some reason.

What do you think about this debut work? I would like you to tell me the first art movement that comes to mind when you look at this painting.  :)

Gary_HeathKitrishiAllieHunter1whunt

Comments

• This is good for a first painting.  It reminds me of the Symbolists. The flat areas of color and bold outlines (Cloisonnism) put me in mind of Gaugin in particular. 

Did you paint this from imagination or did you use a reference photo? 
    Lucian
  • It's so interesting! I have a certain mood when I look at your work and I like it. I'm sure your style is very bright, you should continue to paint. Thank you for sharing 🙏🏼
    Lucian
  • Very atmospheric.  Reminds me of a setting in a musical like the King and I or South Pacific.
    Lucianheartofengland
  • A first painting is special in many ways.

Did it turn out how you expected?
    What parts do you think work and what would you like to have done differently?
    Lucian
  • tassieguy said:
    This is good for a first painting.  It reminds me of the Symbolists. The flat areas of color and bold outlines (Cloisonnism) put me in mind of Gaugin in particular. 

Did you paint this from imagination or did you use a reference photo? 
    Thanks. I mixed elements from several reference videos into one painting. Several parts of it were pretty much just me winging it.  :s
  • Has the painting been removed? Can't see it, even on refreshing the page
    Lucian
  • A first painting is special in many ways.

Did it turn out how you expected?
    What parts do you think work and what would you like to have done differently?
    No, it didn't quite turn our how I expected. It took me by surprise.

There are way too many things I would have done differently, but now it is what it is. B)