Wet on wet vs layering

So I painted this with a block in then let it dry. Then I came  in with a wet on wet approach and with a fast pace only Because  my time is limited. I feel that because of the wet on wet approach I achieved effects that I would not have achieved if I took my time a carefully layered every single thing. I still have the four ground to work on and this will be done. Thoughts??? 
dencalLucianArtGaltassieguyGary_Heath

Comments

• edited July 25
    I think you are right.  I've been painting for 30+ years, and in that time I've used both methods, and many times as you mention here.  I like the simple block in with "wishy-washy" paint first, and in subsequent painting sessions, I use both a rather quick layer or a quick addition to my block in.  Lemme tell ya, there is not "right" way to paint.  The longer you're at it, the more you'll see someone start off, and under your breath you'll say, That ain't gonna work.  But, an hour or so later, you peek in on that person's progress, and lo and behold, he/she has a whiz of a painting going.  Relax and paint pretty much how it pleases you.  One thing to remember . . . start with the darks, and work up to the lights, go for the BIG shapes first, and detail at the end.  Happy hunting.
  • Painting is looking really great!  I learned oil painting using Alkyd oils, which dry faster, making it easier to paint additional layers in one sitting without disturbing the paint underneath and creating mud.  I also use a block-in method, getting the canvas covered with mid-tone color.  It's really nice not to have to wait for the previous layer to dry to add more layers with the Alkyds.  I have painted wet on wet and thoroughly enjoyed that technique.  Can't wait to see your finished version of this painting.