Background or no?

VioletViolet -
edited July 20 in Post Your Paintings
Hello... this is a painting I did today but it has not had  the details of fur work and whiskers  etc. because  that will involve the edges and so I'm trying to decide first if I want to just leave the black background of the multimedia artboard or if it is too boring like this and I should add a better background. I really suck at backgrounds... I just like to paint dogs and cats... but there is always the background to consider and that is always a struggle for me to figure out.

So two questions
Should I leave it black or change?
How do you guys decide on a background? Do you plan it out before or add it in after or?

Thanks.

PS It is 8x10... I always forget to add that.

ArtGaldencaltassieguyjoydescheneswhuntallforChristA_Time_To_PaintStephanHM

Comments

• Violet

I think this is a good contrasting background to make the subject pop and not distract the viewer.
    Generally, a background is something I would complete before drawing on the subject.

Denis
    joydeschenesViolet
  • It's looking very good, @Violet.  The dog is well dawn and the modelling of the form looks good.

You could leave the background as it is and finish the hair. But of you want to change the background, as @Dencal mentioned,  it's probably a good idea to do so before you finish the hair and edges.  :)

Violet
  • "leave the black background of the multimedia artboard"

I would question the lightfastness of the artboard. I suggest that you paint something on the surface to avoid any fading. 

The current dark background looks good.
    Violet
  • No background. What happened with that dog's nose?
  • VioletViolet -
    edited July 23
    No background. What happened with that dog's nose?
    LOL... he has a pink nose. I need to tone it down with the pebbly texture I plan to put over it. Will see how that goes.
  • "leave the black background of the multimedia artboard"

I would question the lightfastness of the artboard. I suggest that you paint something on the surface to avoid any fading. 

The current dark background looks good.
    Hm... I had not considered lightfastness of the black. The board itself says it is archival and sealed with thermal-set epoxy resin, but I find no info on the lightfastness of the black.

This is all the info I can see even on their website. Well, maybe I will just paint the black background black before doing the details to be safe.

heartofengland
  • The dog is looking really good.  I do background first when I know there will be fur involved.  I like the color of your background as it stands now.
    Violet
  • Very good dog portrait.  Your finishing touches will make it extra special.
    Violet