Second painting using Mark’s Method

@heartofengland encouraged me to post another painting, so here it is.   I did this one about 2 months ago.  Still not varnished.   I definitely have issues with highlights/shadows not being strong enough.  Is it too late for me to add more highlights/shadows?  I’ll have to oil it out, right?  Never did that before.   Brutal critique welcome.  (Photo of rose taken by me 😊.)
MichaelDJcdrobDesertskydencalArtGaltassieguyjoydeschenesallforChristKingstonFineArtGTOdewaldwhuntGary_HeathVioletA_Time_To_PaintKit

Comments

• edited July 20
    @spiffypix ,

Lovely detail in the petals and folds.

Its not too late to add more and yes oiling out a little should help as it will make the surface more receptive  :)
    spiffypix
  • When I have to stop and ask myself - which one is the photo?  means you're pretty much on track.
    I agree - your overall values are a hair low (dark) That said, without the reference I doubt anyone would bump on it. I think personally you could varnish this and move on - lesson learned. Nicely done!!
    spiffypixMarinos_88Gary_Heath
  • Jcdrob said:
    When I have to stop and ask myself - which one is the photo?  means you're pretty much on track.
    I agree - your overall values are a hair low (dark) That said, without the reference I doubt anyone would bump on it. I think personally you could varnish this and move on - lesson learned. Nicely done!!
    Woot!  Yes, good point about ‘which one is the photo’.  But I always try to find everything wrong with my work lol.   Thank you so much for the comment.  😊 

@[email protected] I will try to oil out.  Thanks. 
  • This painting looks amazing @spiffypix! I agree with jcdrob it looks like finished to me too. also iwth time darks tend to sink and look dull. try oiling out just to see if it revives the darks and then it would look even closer to the original. Great job :)
    spiffypix
  • Marvelous!

Unusual subject. Well rendered. Good composition and values/colours. I kept wanting to get closer to see more of those amazing veins in the petals so I zoomed in and was not disappointed. 
    I just love this.  :)
    spiffypix
  • It's really an amazing painting... so impressed.  The variations in color hue as the the values become lighter are super beautiful.
    spiffypix
  • @ArtGal @allforChrist @tassieguy Wow, thanks to all of you for the great comments!  I’m surprised to hear such positive things about it.     I realized I Uploaded a ‘duller’ version.   I tend to add saturation to my photos and I had reduced the saturation on these a while back.   Here is what the painting/photos actually look like.   Oh, and here is a photo of my palette, which is why I don’t do well with following Mark’s instructions 😂 
    SuezKit
  • edited July 20
    The painting is so beautiful.

But that looks like my palette! Lol. It starts of all neat and tidy in colour groups but in no time it's a jumble and only I could know what's what. It all gets scraped off at then end of the session and I start afresh next day.  :)
    spiffypixdewaldallforChrist
  • @spiffypix, Fantastic! 

Take it to it’s limits. You can do it! 
    spiffypix
  • Excellent painting.  It holds up well close up too, 
    Your palette looks like mine at times.  I will smear paint to find the color/value that I need to mix at times.  

spiffypix
  • @spiffypix Hi there. I can't add constructive criticism as some of the guys who've been here a long time, but can only say well done! It really does look amazing. What is the size of the painting? At first glance it looks huge but when I look at closer I can see the canvas.
    spiffypix
  • The photo you produced is weirdly fascinating. I will take your word that it's a rose... it looks like something from an anatomy or fungi book. Is this the result of lighting and lenses or Photoshop?

Your painting certainly does it credit too.
    spiffypix
  • Even more beautiful.  Wow, that palette gave me a lot of stress though! ;)
    spiffypix
  • edited July 21
    @heartofengland ha!  Yes, it’s a rose i purchased at the local grocery store, then folded the petals down.  Technically a long-exposure photo, as I place the flower in a ‘black box’ and allow just enough ambient light to ‘kiss’ the petals. I currently shoot with a Canon 5D4 and a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro but I might have shot this particular one with my Canon 6D.    I have taken a lot of photos of flowers with this technique.  Feel free to check them out, if you’re bored lol 

@allforChrist lol yes, it’s the palette of a mad woman!   Lol I swear I must have ADHD or something lol.

@dewald thank you!  It’s fairly small - maybe 8x12 or a little larger?   Just a cheap-o canvas from the craft store, purchased in a two pack.  😂 
    heartofenglandSuezallforChrist
  • @spiffypix, your photos are just wonderful! 

Would you believe I actually have a book dedicated to photos of snowflakes and several large photos taken @ 200x of polarized bubbles? I do. Very much looking forward to seeing more of your work. 

Too few artists paint little things. This is going to to be great.  :)
    spiffypix
  • Beautiful! Just beautiful!
    spiffypix
  • @spiffypix I like your sky photos.  They are very powerful.  I also like the flowers with the balaclava background.
    spiffypix
  • @spiffypix wonderful painting and really enjoyed your photos on your website … amazing 
    spiffypix
  • Your photos are amazing!  I can't speak for everyone else but I know my painting material would benefit greatly from having your skill in photography!  

You are really a professional at photography!  And it's mind-blowing this is only your second painting with DMP.  
    spiffypix
  • edited July 22
    @spiffypix, just had a look at your photographs, fantastic.

I too take photos of flowers for the floral pieces I have done. Will message you  :)
    spiffypix
  • Awesome painting and your photos are absolutely beautiful - Perfect balance of technology and creativity!. :)
    spiffypix
  • Thats great @spiffypix, thanks for posting those articles  :)
    spiffypix
  • edited July 22
    Great photos and some very useful information on photography in those links, @spiffypics. Just the stuff for photographically challenged painters like me. I need to go back and read the articles more carefully but wanted to thank you for posting them first.  :)
    spiffypix
  • I’m no expert, but if anyone has any photography questions, I’m always happy to help out.  😊 
  • I think you dealt with all of this really nobly, @spiffypix.  Sometimes there are scammers on here who would share about their photography website and course right away, but we all were just struck by the reference photo and searched for the corresponding information which you then supplied.  Because your photo was so good, it made us pry for other info.  Very honorable and not sketchy.  And again, great photos.
    spiffypix
  • @allforChrist - wow, I’m really happy to hear you say that. Thank you!

I’m a big believer in sharing knowledge, and sharing it for free, honestly (sorta like how Mark does it on his channel/site).   Long story short, I entered a photography competition that was held by KelbyOne.  I never in a billion years thought I would win, but I did, and they flew us to Florida and displayed a bunch of my photos (printed massively by them) in their gallery.  That led into an opportunity to teach a class for them.   I had never done anything like that before (nor since).  I got paid to do it, but honestly I would share the info for free (and I do, often lol).  I wouldn’t have been able to learn what I have without others’ generosity, and I feel like I need to pay it forward.

Thanks again so much for the kind words.  😊 
    allforChristtassieguyheartofengland