Something Simple

Hi all

I sold a painting and had an empty spot on the wall. Made this to fill the gap! I modified the jug from the reference a lot to keep it simple.

Some framing options made me curious, but I stayed with simple gold.

SueztassieguyheartofenglandJcdrobA_Time_To_PaintGary_Heath

Comments

• I've heard that in art of any type, simplicity is the hardest goal to approach and execute because the flaws become more noticeable. To be successful in simplicity is mastering the art form to a degree of perfection. I think most on DMP would agree, you have consistantly demonstrated a mastery of painting and this work is no exception. Congratulations on another fine piece. 
    MioA_Time_To_Paint
  • It's beautiful, @Mio. I think you made the right choice with the frame.  :)
    Mio
  • A lovely painting in the black frame. It adds a touch of Dutch Master in my mixed up mind... don't know why.

A very interesting object. What is the blue portion made of, enamel?
    Mio
  • I agree the simple gold is the best choice of frame. 
    Mio
  • I love the blue and gold.  It's a stunning painting.  Always love to see your work.
    Mio
  • Lovely work @Mio.  I like your choice of the gold frame.  
    Mio
  • Thank you @whunt @tassieguy @oilpainter1950 and @A_Time_To_Paint

@heartofengland I guess the cup is with enamel. The actual cup has a dog design in multi-colour but I did not like it for the painting. See -- what do you think?

joydeschenesheartofengland
  • CBGCBG -
    edited July 18
    @Mio

It occurs to me you could develop an accurate photo-chopped rendition of this by carefuly rotating the mug clockwise (looking down) in small increments and taking multiple photos of that vertical blue strip between the artwork and the metal spout.  Being careful to observe whether there are any spurious reflections of the spout.  Lighting and reflections from the blue enamel surface otherwise should be realistically accurate.

Even better, if cup is perfectly symmetrical and there is no dog on the back, you could just turn it around and photo-chop that bit in!

Good call, not including the deer and dog artwork.
    Mio
  • "Good call, not including the deer and dog artwork"
    👏👍
  • Hmmm... I'm working from your photos, not the original item or painting etc.

Might a brighter reflection be appropriate for the centre of the blue?

Enamel is usually very shiny, similar to the gold section eg the reflection of the handle on the enamel.  The gold part shows a large bright window / light source but there is nothing similar in the blue enamel. This gives it a dull, matt appearance.

Just a suggestion.
  • @cbg @heartofengland thanks -- I wish I could get better references, I just took a quick passer-by photo of this mug, which is also in the Frilandsmuseet in Copenhagen. It's already been almost a year since I was there and I don't remember what it looked like in person :D I am most grateful though, for modern technology!
    heartofengland
  • CBGCBG -
    edited July 19
    Mio said:
    @cbg @heartofengland thanks -- I wish I could get better references, I just took a quick passer-by photo of this mug, which is also in the Frilandsmuseet in Copenhagen. It's already been almost a year since I was there and I don't remember what it looked like in person :D I am most grateful though, for modern technology!
    Ah.. so there's was no way to rotate that mug. 

That's a tough one, the only clue for what the environment was like is the image in the reflection in the brass at the top...which is likely inverted because it is concave....not easy, but it did provide you with the opportunity to paint using your imagination and detective skills!

Mio
  • MioMio -
    edited July 21
    There it is, bottom right :)

heartofenglandallforChristMarinos_88spiffypix
  • @Mio

What an excellent group of paintings for a dining table area!

Three more paintings would make it perfect.  I would suggest austere, perhaps somewhat cheeky, but entirely noble, living head and shoulders oil portraits of three of the most important guests to grace the table... the Steer, the Pig... and lastly the Chicken?

:)
    Mio
  • Thanks @CBG ... the Pie paintings had generally been in a closet or box for 5 years before I moved flats :D 
  • how sad , just love your pie paintings a dining area is perfect for them. 
    Mio