The proportional divider at work

Here' is a YouTube video that show the use of the proportional divider.
I make my own from 8" to 3'.

This is a pretty good video on getting the head proportions.

https://youtu.be/HF2kE6Uc3yU
heartofenglandForgiveness

Comments

• Art supply stores sell good quality PD's for much less than $150. I think I paid $25 for mine. What's important is to understand how to use it. Mark has a video that deals with this. I recommend it. 
  • tassieguy said:
    Art supply stores sell good quality PD's for much less than $150. I think I paid $25 for mine. What's important is to understand how to use it. Mark has a video that deals with this. I recommend it. 
    Here is the video for anyone who wants to see it:

This happens to be the proportional divider from GenevaFineArt (a company owned by the owner of this website Mark Carder) 

Enjoy!

tassieguyheartofengland
  • Very interesting here’s a good painter doing really practical things with his painting and proportional dividers. No one has commented on his video. 
  • CBGCBG -
    edited July 15
    Very interesting here’s a good painter doing really practical things with his painting and proportional dividers. No one has commented on his video. 
    What are you talking about?  Whose video has no comments?
  • Here' is a YouTube video that show the use of the proportional divider.
    I make my own from 8" to 3'.

This is a pretty good video on getting the head proportions.

https://youtu.be/HF2kE6Uc3yU

• Thanks @KingstonFineArt
    I've watched videos from this artist before. I hadn't seen this one. I like his idea of straight lines being easier than curves. Also the quick clip of horizontal lines from the photo.

Mark's videos introduced the divider to me. I've made one myself, dead easy, and use it a lot.  I like Mark's slow & detailed approach to tutorials. It's all about doing it in real life, in real time with him.

I'm saving up to buy Mark's portrait video ready for my assault on the human face.

Keep on posting your technical stuff Kingston. I'm not at a level to need or understand most of it but it's a resource I appreciate being there for the future 
    Suez
  • I made my own following Mark's instructions, 14" white maple hardwood.
     I don't have a 3' one tho, this would be great for drawing and painting on large surfaces.
     Good video, one of the very best.