Flowers and Watering Can Finished Today

Been working on this painting and have added detail to our left 5 flowers in the watering can.  It's starting to come to life.  I changed the background color in the reference photo and table top color as well.  I would like to get some feedback before proceeding about the flowers' edges  It has always been my understanding that when two contrasting colors meet that there is a sharp edge.  The flower details are requiring a lot of patience with the subtle variations in value and just want to make sure I'm on the right path before proceeding.  Thank you @dencal for your recent post on edges.  I find that information very helpful and would like opinion/comments on my progress so far with this painting please.  The watering can and the flower on the tabletop is still in the blocked in stage at this point.

Reference photo:

Progress so far 12x16 inch size.  Best photo I can manage right now.

Gary_Heathcbor47Abstractionwhunt

Comments

• A_Time_To_Paint

Looking good.

Don’t stress. Everyone struggles with edges. That is why I’m trying to understand them.

A larger canvas would make this easier.
    Needs darker stems, more and darker shadow values on the petals, compose the ‘flow of light’,smoother outlines, variation on the edges, some value variation in the pistils.
    Select your focus area to look crisp, de-tune other edges to a softer focus.

Denis
    anweshaA_Time_To_PaintallforChrist
  • The damage to to the can in the reference photo has pulled the top of the handle down and twisted forward. The less damaged spout side doesn’t affect the direction it’s pointed in. 

If you correct the direction of the spout in your painting it won’t seem to be jumping out of the picture plain which is rather disconcerting. It should be easy to back it off and point it as it does in the reference photo.
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • It is looking good @A_Time_To_Paint I look forward to seeing the finished painting.
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • dencal said:
    A_Time_To_Paint

Looking good.

Don’t stress. Everyone struggles with edges. That is why I’m trying to understand them.

A larger canvas would make this easier.
    Needs darker stems, more and darker shadow values on the petals, compose the ‘flow of light’,smoother outlines, variation on the edges, some value variation in the pistils.
    Select your focus area to look crisp, de-tune other edges to a softer focus.

Thank you Denis.  It would probably help the overall look when I get the other flowers more finished.  The crisp light-focused flowers and sharper edges sounds perfect compared to softer edges on the others.  Will definitely keep that in mind.  I really appreciate your taking the time to compare the ref photo with the unfinished painting.  The details are killer and are so important for the overall effect.  
  • Suez said:
    The damage to to the can in the reference photo has pulled the top of the handle down and twisted forward. The less damaged spout side doesn’t affect the direction it’s pointed in. 

If you correct the direction of the spout in your painting it won’t seem to be jumping out of the picture plain which is rather disconcerting. It should be easy to back it off and point it as it does in the reference photo.
    Thank you so much!  I have those stark white lines on the handle right now so I don't lose the drawing and to help me see the edges when I get to them.  I see what you mean by the shape though and will correct that.  Thank you so much for your critique.
  • Thank you @MichaelD for your encouraging remarks.  Confidentially, I can't wait to see this one finished as well  :D
    MichaelD
  • tassieguy said:
    It's beautiful already, @A_Time_To_Paint. I love it. The colour of the flowers is perfect. There are some issues with values that you could easily fix. 

I know it's still in the block in stage but here are some of suggestions:

1 - Lose the lower edge at the top of the spout 
    2 - Darken the left side of the vessel
    3 - Lower the value around the middle of he flowers and some of the outer petals at top and on the left
    4 - Lower the value of he stems on the right.
    5- Get some subtle variation in value in the background.
    6 - Reduce the bright highlights around the edges of the vessel's handle - those edges should be almost lost. Squint and you can't see those edges on the handle. 

It works beautifully as it is but if you do these things it will be better than the reference.  :)
    What great observations!  The lower edge at the top of the spout and the highlights on the handle are just there right now so I don't lose the drawing and, and the watering can is still just blocked in and will keep your suggestions in mind as the painting progresses.  The stems on the right are still blocked in and will definitely change that.  Any suggestions on how to get subtle value changes in the background with the flowers now in the way?  Maybe a little lighter background toward the left (light source is coming from the right) and keep the existing background around the flowers?  Thank you so much for your observation and detailed critique!  
  • @A_Time_To_Paint, oh, yes, I see now. Those lines around the handle are just where you haven't covered the canvas. Sorry about that. My eyes aren't so good on computer monitors anymore.  :)
  • You're fine @tassieguy.  The drawing is a little off and will need to fix that.   :)
  • @A_Time_To_Paint
    Paint of what's happening is that you may be think too much and not analyzing the reference.
    I look at this and see a very simple composition. The background is tones of somewhat neutral violet. The flowers are the compliment of violet. Even the darks inside the flower are deep violet. The Gays in the watering can are grays derived from neutering the yellow and violet

Here are similar color mixes to the image. This is from my stock reference that I create for foundation color. Looking at these I see the background is very Mauve or Red Violet.

This is basically the direction of a palette with a more intense Yellow for this reference.

You may be thinking in value not the value of color. You started with a dark background Darks darker than the dark background in the image. The yellows are lighter than the lightest color in the reference. As for edges the only softness in the reference is from the depth of field. Your drawing is very good here.

I paint like you are painting here - in passes. I start with mid to dark but not final dark. My lights, the yellows here, would be started with mixes in darker value. 

Edges will happen. Values in this reference cause the differences that make disappearing . The flowers are sharp.Painting in passes edges would probably happen at the last several passes.

I practice most paintings. I do small oil sketches and maybe some details. I'm looking for color/value.

Suezdencaljoydeschenes
  • @KingstonFineArt, What would be the best way to resolve this? 

I can’t see how she can get the reference photo violet colors on the can and the flower shadows without changing the surrounding colors back to into their violet range. Would it be better to do that or to go with the surrounding colors, as she’s changed them to, to color the can and flower shadows? Is there another solution I can’t think of?
  • @Suez
    Well that why we use oils color is easy to change. The above palette is all made from the primaries.
  • @KingstonFineArt, Thank you. 

I understand the concept. I see how working the colors and values out in sketches beforehand is smart -most especially for beginners varying colors from the reference.

Once an oil sketch is made, mid course when one finds their error while working on a painting,  is it easy to change the whole background around all those petals and all? Is it better than starting over? I’m sure there are plenty of lessons to learn either way. Wondering what a very experienced artist would do in this situation. 

I remember on one of his videos Mark Carder said he changed his mind about color and had to re-do all the shadow colors in the painting and it took some doing. Don’t know how far along on the painting, or how much time he had already invested in it though.
  • Oils a very changeable and forgiving. 
  • Thank you @KingstonFineArt for your very detailed critique!  I really appreciate the color charts you also included.  The background color looked red to me and that was the reason I changed it.  The darker background does help make the flowers stand out.  The combination of the red background with the bluish tabletop and the bright yellow flowers looked to garish to me.  Changing the background to a lighter, pale violet color at this stage would take way too much time, so I will chalk it all up to experience on this one.  Again, thank you very much for your observations, critique, and help with this one.  PS:  It is now almost finished and will post final results when done.  
  • It has always been my understanding that when two contrasting colors meet that there is a sharp edge.
    This is a stunning composition. You're right on track. Keep going. Agree with observations of @tassieguy.
    There doesn't need to be a sharp edge whenever contrasting colours meet - that's a composition choice. It might be blurred. The photo has a very pleasing bokeh - slightly blurred effect on the flowers at back because it's tightly focused on the foreground. In the method I was taught it was highly favoured to make the focal point the only point of focus - because that's the way the eye sees at a single glance. I love that effect but don't always use it. I think it would suit this painting but... that's a composition choice.
    A_Time_To_PaintallforChrist
  • Thank you @Abstraction.  This is something I don't believe I've heard about edges before.  A composition choice - head slap - that makes so much sense!
    Abstraction
  • @A_Time_To_Paint, I just watched this Dianne Mize video on darkening yellows and I thought you may be interested.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cbkywI9GGWY&feature=share
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • Thank you @Suez.  I like Dianne Mize and will be checking this one out.
    Suez
  • Overall it's good. The yellow is very light overall. I like to see more variation in those yellows.  The drawing is good. The spout end of the can is a bit wonky but that's in the reference photo.

A_Time_To_Paint
  • Thank you @KingstonFineArt very much for your comments.  The painting looks so much better in person than this photo.  I used a purple glaze in the shadow areas.  There are varying shades of lemony yellow and more orange-yellow.  I will reexamine the flowers for sure.  My eyes can't see it anymore after a while.  Thank you so much again.  Appreciate your advice.
  • lovely @A_Time_To_Paint and I like your name for it  :)
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • It's beautiful, @A_Time_To_Paint. I love what you've done with the yellow flowers - they have a very 3D feel - and your glaze added depth in the shadows. Another really good thing about it is that it looks like a painting and not an exact copy of a photo.  I think you can be very satisfied with this one. :)
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • Thank you  @joydeschenes very much and thank you @tassieguy for your observations and feedback.  I am pretty satisfied with this painting.  "And now, for my next trick..."  LOL!  
    tassieguy
  • Well done @A_Time_To_Paint !  Those flowers really pop, and that canister looks like I could reach out and feel the cold water in it!
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • Wow, thank you @CBG very much  :)
  • LOVE this painting :))  And the name is great.  You did such a good job persisting in this painting.  Way to go, it is beautiful.
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • Excellent painting.  I like the warm background and the attention to detail on the flowers,  You’ve captured the metal on the watering can beautifully. 
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • Lovely work @A_Time_To_Paint I particularly like the watering can  :)
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • Thank you @MichaelD.  I think that is my favorite part also :smile:
  • I like the bright yellow against the dark background. Very well done.  Looking forward to seeing your next one.
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • Thank you @oilpainter1950 very much.  I'm trying to figure out what's next as I type this.  Too many choices LOL!