Proper disposal of art supplies

How do you dispose of used oil rags, paper towels, and used mediums?

Comments

• Tillie

Welcome to you.

My local City Authority has a free hazardous waste disposal….

Accepted hazardous waste

Up to 20 litres or 20 kilograms of the following hazardous waste can be brought to the RCB per day, free of charge. Please note that commercial quantities will not be accepted.

• CDs and DVDs
    • Ink and printer cartridges
    • Pool and other household chemicals
    • Electronics/mobile phones
    • LPG gas cylinders (that hold less than 9kgs of gas)
    • Smoke alarms
    • Flares and red fire extinguishers
    • Motor oil, coolants and filters
    • Fuel - diesel and petrol must be in suitable fuel container to leave for recycling (boat fuel tanks will not be emptied onsite or returned if left for recycling)
    • Solvents (dry, empty tins are also accepted)
    • Fluorescent light globes
    • Pesticides, insecticides and herbicides
    • Varnishes and stains
    • Household and car batteries
    • X-ray film
    • Paint (a limit of 100 litres per day will be accepted, commercial painters waste paint also accepted).

So I visit this facility, perhaps twice a year, with electronic waste (also free disposal) and take along any paint or walnut oil waste.

Use a lidded tin with water to store oily waste rag or paper to avoid spontaneous combustion.

https://youtu.be/9yq6VW-c2Ts

Denis

• Interesting video. I am new to oil painting. But that video seems to indicate that it is the LINSEED oil that makes it dangerous? What if one uses safflower or walnut based oil paints only? Will that spontaneously combust as well? Thank you!
  • Violet

I would regard all oily waste as potentially hazardous and, as the consequences are so dire, treat the waste with safe certainty as suggested above.

Denis