GIMP 2.10.32 changed colors?

I don't know who else on the forum is using GIMP, but I've just had a serious problem with it.

I upgraded to version 2.10.32 and when I reopened the photo I've been working with, I immediately noticed that the colors have changed compared to the same file in the previous version.  Some of the settings have changed but I'm not sure what.  The image looks over-saturated, over-exposed, and very unnatural.  When I print the image, everything is worse!

I'm working on a new portrait and want to print out a full-size version of just the face, but I can't get the colors to match the reference that has decent colors.  I'm at the color mixing stage for the flesh tones.  

Has anyone else had this problem with the new GIMP version?

I don't like Photoshop.  It's too obtuse for me.  Are there any other decent photo editing programs that are suitable for portrait artists?

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited June 16
    mstrick96

Designed with your productivity in mind, CorelDRAW® Graphics Suite is trusted by millions of graphics pros and design teams around the globe for endless creativity with no time wasted. This fully-loaded toolkit for professional vector illustration, layout, photo editing, typography, and collaboration is equal parts creative and efficient: the perfect recipe for delivering breathtaking design projects

CorelDRAW works with Microsoft machines. There is a Mac version.

Procreate is a knockout on iPad.

Affinity has some loyal followers.

Adobe Photoshop is the most popular.

Inkscape is the best free app. But it’s too new to know much about.

Denis

• Thanks @dencal I'll take a look at those.

I remembered that I have an earlier version of Gimp on one of my Linux machines and loaded my same reference photo on it.  Colors are now correct and now I can get accurate prints.  The earlier version that is working is 2.10.18.

Apparently, there are some settings that got change during the upgrade, but I haven't been able to figure out what change. 

Interesting that the exact, same file gives such different results.
  • RGB files travel with color profiles. SRGB, ADOBE RGB and so on endlessly. If you find the profile on the Linux machine and apply it to the new version. You can find profile online and save profiles.
  • Try switching back to the previous version of GIMP. 
  • @tassieguy I actually found the setting that had changed and managed to get it corrected.  I got some help from the GIMP Facebook group.

I went to Image/Precision/ and it was set to linear instead of sRGB (or something like that...)  Anyway I changed it back to sRGB and all is well.

I really don't want to have to go back through the GIMP setting to fix errant entries when I upgrade!  Very frustrating!!!
  • edited June 18
    Yes, every time I'm alerted to an upgrade for GIMP or Affinity Photo, I ask myself whether I really need/want it. If it's a security update I'll install it. Otherwise, not. The upgrades never seem to be any better than the previous versions and sometimes worse. Anyway, glad you got it sorted.