On the GO!!

Making more time to paint and boy, does it ever feel so good to be behind the easel again.  I've got several going at once and feel energized.  I was up at 4:00 a.m. yesterday and today trying to take advantage of some uninterrupted time.  I can then take an hour nap after breakfast and am energized for the rest of the day to get everything around the house done and get in some painting again.  

Here are some works in progress.  The first three are just blocked in waiting for the color revisions, details, etc., etc. 

12x16

12x12

12x12

This is my biggest canvas and will be reworking a painting I had started before.  It is 18 x 24 inches, still small compared to many I see here in the forum.  I took it through GIMP and like this much better than what I had before.

Before:  I have changed this so many times that I may need to sand down the lower part of this painting to get it where I want it to be.

GIMP image of this painting with changes.  Any commends on this revision would be greatly appreciated.  

This is also a 12x16 that I started before the end of last year that I want to finish. Still sunset reflections to be added to the snow and lots of details with ice and snow on the water as well as the right lower side of the painting.

I'm pretty happy with the 18x24 revisions made through GIMP.  If you see anything you would change with the revisions, I'd love to hear about it.

I read the book The War of Art by Steven Pressfield and feel like I may need to reread it.  It has been so helpful in getting me to analyze why I may be not painting when I maybe could have.  There is one part in there that says to the effect, "If someone is knocking at the door and the dog just threw up on the living room rug, then that may not be a good time to paint (write, create)."  I feel like that is how my life is a lot of the time.  This book also says you need some time in a room with the door closed and not have any interruptions for a space of time.  That doesn't happen here but I'm learning to tune things out and stop and start creating with interruptions.  Before, it made me upset, angry, resentful, you name it, and it just made me want to give up art altogether.  Now I try and multitask, set some goals, and try and reach those goals with or without interruptions.  I have found that not painting or drawing makes me a completely different person.  It makes me feel incomplete, depressed, angry, and a little bitter.  I'm so thankful for this forum where I can bounce ideas off each of you.  It makes me a better artist and I would probably just stagnate otherwise.    

CBGjay80allforChristAbstractionMichaelDcbor47kaustavMtiffa

Comments

• A_Time_To_Paint

Looking Good.

Denis
  • Wow.  You have a lot of paintings started.  The birds and the snow scene are my favorites so far.  Can’t wait to see how you ogress with these.
    I find it is difficult to paint if I feel time pressure.  I work full time so I can only paint on the evenings and weekends.  But I still have loads of home life that I have to give attention.  
    So I have rules.  I get to paint after dinner on Monday through Thursday for about an hour and a half.  I also get to paint in the afternoons on the weekends.  But I don’t paint on Friday’s or after five on the weekends.  But the deal is that when I am painting I close the door and that is my time.  Everything else is out of mind and out of time. 😄
    A_Time_To_Paintwhunttassieguy
  • edited June 11
    @GTO, if my spouse could, I know he would not interrupt me at all and there are stretches of time when he doesn't.  He is disabled and needs help with lots of things.  I work from home but have lost some of the production volume, so that leaves me some extra time during the day Monday through Friday where I can paint a little.  The morning chores of cooking breakfast, taking care of dogs, cats, chickens, cleaning the kitchen, helping my spouse to the restroom a couple of times and then back into bed with his AVAPS machine for an hour or so, then back out of bed...., work my job for a while, then stop everything for lunch, cleaning the kitchen again, back getting any work from my job out of the way, keeping the laundry done and the house relatively clean and orderly, it all adds up.  I'm learning to manage my time a little better without neglecting my spouse or at least so he doesn't feel neglected. 

I'm so happy for you in that you have the ability to close the door to the world and get lost in a painting.  You're so talented and I really admire your work.  I know it has come from lots of hours of practice and honing your skills.  

I understand the time pressure.  I feel rushed now, but at the same time feel productive.  Have to remind myself to slow  down sometimes.  Ordinarily, I paint in a very tight way and I'm hoping this will help loosen up my brush strokes and that I'll develop habits that help me work smarter not harder, making each stroke really count and not have to come back and keep fixing things, doing it right the first time.  

Wishing I could retire is wishing my life away but really sometimes wish I didn't have to work.

Thank you for looking at my post and for your response.  I will post paintings when they are finished.
    GTO
  • I can't imagine how you manage to paint at all with all those responsibilities, @A_Time_To_Paint. I think what you are doing is marvelous. 

The three block-ins are looking good. And I like what you have done in GIMP with the sunset and water.  I also thing  the soft colours in the snow scene read really well.

I look forward to watching all of these develop further.  :)
  • Really nice paintings. I really like the last winter scene! Looking forward to seeing it and the others when they are finished.
    I'm with you on finding the time to paint! All we can do is use the time we have to paint and try not to stress about it too much otherwise you will loose the little time you have. We are better at handling our everyday things when we allow ourselves the time to do what we love. 
  • You certainly do have a busy and demanding schedule.  I can see why you chose to paint so early in the morning. It’s a creative solution to balancing such a busy schedule.  Your willingness to get up so early to paint shows how much that means to you.
  • your paintings look great, love the last one :)
  • edited June 12
    Thank you @dencal, @whunt, and @ArtGal for your kind and encouraging remarks.  I also like that winter scene and am hoping to continue capturing the feeling with the darker winter lighting at sunset.  @whunt you are so right about not stressing over the time we do have and doing something we enjoy to help carry us through the rest of our day.  @GTO yes, i do LOVE to paint.  We're in the same boat with a busy schedule and so happy to see you painting again.  @tassieguy thank you so much for the feedback on the GIMP changes to the work in progress.  That gives me confidence to move ahead with the changes and make it happen.  Thank you!
  • Wow, is all I can say with regards to how busy your life is and I feel for you, but yet you find time to paint,  I'm glad you do, it helps with mindfulness and mental health.

As for your art, that's a lot of ongoing projects lol! 

The GIMP changes I also agree are excellent and I look forward to seeing it completed.  The block ins are good foundations , I especially like the blue tits.

The snow scene I find really peaceful, but can feel the frigid temperature, seeing my breath on the air.  

All in great work!
  • Thank you @jay80 so much for your feedback and encouraging remarks.  Painting does help my mental health picture without a single doubt.  
  • How about calling the yellow flowers finished? You've captured the brown yellow combination so well. Sumptuous. Extra detail may dilute it to 'another flower painting'. Have this as a start to your looser style?

The GIMP reminds me of the Roman Bozhkov piece that is June 13 in the Daily Inspiration thread. He does lots of trees, water, meadows and dramatic skies in various combinations. 
  • I keep going back to the sunset painting before the last winter scene. I think this has great potential. I want to reach for sunglasses, I think you captured the sun perfectly as well as the depiction of distance. I also like the grassy area...what does GIMP mean? 
  • Thank you @heartofengland.  It's very tempting to call it finished but there is more detail that I want to add to the flowers and the watering can is really rough.  I think I can complete it with a looser style.  I will have to look up the Roman Bozhkov piece in the Daily Inspiration thread and have a look.  Thanks @whunt very much.  GIMP is Gnu Image Manipulation Program, which is a free download if you are looking for any photo editing software.  It does pretty much everything that PhotoShop does.
  • Some really beautiful and dramatic pieces here.
  • @A_Time_To_Paint  It is great that you are managing to paint with such a busy life, you have somehow managed the trick of making doing your painting part of your busy schedule. No doubt you get so much from doing your artwork that it is important to have it in there.

I like the winter scene best.   :)
  • Thank you @MichaelD.  I've discovered that I HAVE to keep my hands in art or there is the very real possibility of losing my sanity.  Thank you @Abstraction very much.  
  • Making more time to paint and boy, does it ever feel so good to be behind the easel again.  I've got several going at once and feel energized.  I was up at 4:00 a.m. yesterday and today trying to take advantage of some uninterrupted time.  I can then take an hour nap after breakfast and am energized for the rest of the day to get everything around the house done and get in some painting again.  

Here are some works in progress.  The first three are just blocked in waiting for the color revisions, details, etc., etc. 

12x16

12x12

12x12

This is my biggest canvas and will be reworking a painting I had started before.  It is 18 x 24 inches, still small compared to many I see here in the forum.  I took it through GIMP and like this much better than what I had before.

Before:  I have changed this so many times that I may need to sand down the lower part of this painting to get it where I want it to be.

GIMP image of this painting with changes.  Any commends on this revision would be greatly appreciated.  

This is also a 12x16 that I started before the end of last year that I want to finish. Still sunset reflections to be added to the snow and lots of details with ice and snow on the water as well as the right lower side of the painting.

I'm pretty happy with the 18x24 revisions made through GIMP.  If you see anything you would change with the revisions, I'd love to hear about it.

I read the book The War of Art by Steven Pressfield and feel like I may need to reread it.  It has been so helpful in getting me to analyze why I may be not painting when I maybe could have.  There is one part in there that says to the effect, "If someone is knocking at the door and the dog just threw up on the living room rug, then that may not be a good time to paint (write, create)."  I feel like that is how my life is a lot of the time.  This book also says you need some time in a room with the door closed and not have any interruptions for a space of time.  That doesn't happen here but I'm learning to tune things out and stop and start creating with interruptions.  Before, it made me upset, angry, resentful, you name it, and it just made me want to give up art altogether.  Now I try and multitask, set some goals, and try and reach those goals with or without interruptions.  I have found that not painting or drawing makes me a completely different person.  It makes me feel incomplete, depressed, angry, and a little bitter.  I'm so thankful for this forum where I can bounce ideas off each of you.  It makes me a better artist and I would probably just stagnate otherwise.    

I like your landscapes the most.I paint every day unless I have other things to do, during my paintings sessions I listen to music and loose myself, but! I'm lucky I don't have many interruptions, you need something to distract from a busy schedule,  seize the moment and enjoy.👨‍🎨
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • @GTO, if my spouse could, I know he would not interrupt me at all and there are stretches of time when he doesn't.  He is disabled and needs help with lots of things.  I work from home but have lost some of the production volume, so that leaves me some extra time during the day Monday through Friday where I can paint a little.  The morning chores of cooking breakfast, taking care of dogs, cats, chickens, cleaning the kitchen, helping my spouse to the restroom a couple of times and then back into bed with his AVAPS machine for an hour or so, then back out of bed...., work my job for a while, then stop everything for lunch, cleaning the kitchen again, back getting any work from my job out of the way, keeping the laundry done and the house relatively clean and orderly, it all adds up.  I'm learning to manage my time a little better without neglecting my spouse or at least so he doesn't feel neglected. 

I'm so happy for you in that you have the ability to close the door to the world and get lost in a painting.  You're so talented and I really admire your work.  I know it has come from lots of hours of practice and honing your skills.  

I understand the time pressure.  I feel rushed now, but at the same time feel productive.  Have to remind myself to slow  down sometimes.  Ordinarily, I paint in a very tight way and I'm hoping this will help loosen up my brush strokes and that I'll develop habits that help me work smarter not harder, making each stroke really count and not have to come back and keep fixing things, doing it right the first time.  

Wishing I could retire is wishing my life away but really sometimes wish I didn't have to work.

Thank you for looking at my post and for your response.  I will post paintings when they are finished.
    We do have some things in common. My wife is disabled and even though she has carers to help her she does need me to help in some ways. We also have a very active nearly 8 year old daughter who likes to run and jump around. What also doesn't help is that I don't have a spare room for painting, so I have to use my computer desk in our open plan lounge (painted with yellow walls!) Which is not the best to concentrate when Liz or Alice (daughter) are around. I work part time, but still don't have much time where I'm on my own to paint without distractions.

I also find myself rushing as I have limited time and sometimes that's when you make mistakes.

Keep at it, painting does keep me sane too!!
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • @Richard_P your circumstances sound extremely challenging.  At least I have a small space to work in, albeit not very quiet.  Yes, painting is my sanity sometimes.  I can get up early, as I did this a.m. at 4:45 and get something done while it's quiet.  This time helps me "get in the zone" with painting.  Like you said, sometimes feeling rushed makes me not turn out the best work.  Learning how to work smarter and not harder.  I wish you well in all your painting endeavors.  
    Richard_P
  • @cbor47 you bet I will carpe diem any and every chance I get!!
  • Amazing! So many paintings! Focus on less strokes...involves thinking more on execution. :) Eventually it will make you better and cut down execution time.
    A_Time_To_Paint
  • Thank you @kaustavM.  Seems like I can't just resist those tiny little brushes  :D