I can see!

Today I built studio lights. I could not have imagined how big of a difference it would make in seeing color. I can now see differences in hues, I could not see before. Next I need to mount them…

5 x 5000k (11w). 

Apologies if this isn't relevant. I’m just so happy right now 🙈😂

allforChristAbstractiontassieguydencalA_Time_To_Paint

Comments

• Of course it's relevant!! Woohoo, so excited for you!
    dewald
  • Well done!

And very relevant. It's hard to paint without adequate light.  :)
    dewald
  • dewald

Well done… You sound de…..lighted.

Denis

dewaldallforChrist
  • dewalddewald -
    edited June 10
    @dencal Thanks. Haha yes! Feels like I gained a super power. I left painting for the day so I could make use of daylight, but even then I could sense something wasn't right. I would place colors next to each other and 'knew' they were slightly different but honestly couldn't see. It was very frustrating.
  • @dewald thx for sharing, what are these things you used to plug the bulbs called?
    I'm trying to make something similar my self.
    Thx
    Marino
  • @dewald thanks for sharing. That's simple enough for me to copy. Cheers!
    dewald
  • dewald

That is about 540 lumens. That is about half of the 1000 lumen architects suggest for sustained, detail and value discrimination. You might want to double up in the future.

Denis

dewald
  • I'm happy that you're happy!
    dewald
  • @dewald is that 20 gauge wire? The lights look wired in parallel?  
  • @GTO Not sure what the gauge is to be honest. They are wired in parallel yes. Its incase any of the bulbs go out.
  • @Marinos_88 Hi Marino. You should be able to find them at most hardware stores. Just ask for a lightbulb socket.
    Marinos_88
  • @dencal Im not sure how lumen calculations work but I figure they wont stack 100%. For instance 100 lumens + 100 lumens may not be 200 lumens. I got 5 because box said 900 lumens each. The light source is quite strong at the moment, but I think I can now just upgrade the globes (if I can find something stronger locally. The lights suggested by Mark isn't available here).
  • @dewald
    Directly inspired by your post, I've rigged up some removable lights for my kitchen studio. The main kitchen lights can go back to warm white and be pointed at the sink & kettle... no more moaning from the family. Thank you.

dewald
  • @heartofengland Hey that is so cool! Glad if it helped ✊🏻✊🏻✊🏻

I may just need to add the following. Ive since also built a stand for my lights. The big reason was because I wanted to easily achieve the 35 degree angle Mark was talking about. It was a quick fix and did it in a couple of hours. It looks rough, but that looks kinda nice too. I really have to say of everything I’ve done so far this has made the biggest improvement to my work. Just being able to see well. My next move is going to get those black curtains up.  I currently dont paint during the day. 

• @heartofengland Looking at your first photo again, it looks like your lights hook over the cabinet?
  • dewald said:
    @heartofengland Looking at your first photo again, it looks like your lights hook over the cabinet?
    That's right.

The cupboards already have a piece of wood that stands above the top of carcass. My wooden bracket just hooks over this.
    dewald
  • Nice studio you have. I'd just recommend one change... lose the Phil Collins ;)
    dewaldMichaelD
  • dencaldencal -
    edited July 3
    dewald

@dencal Im not sure how lumen calculations work but I figure they wont stack 100%. For instance 100 lumens + 100 lumens may not be 200 lumens. I got 5 because box said 900 lumens each. The light source is quite strong at the moment, but I think I can now just upgrade the globes (if I can find something stronger locally. The lights suggested by Mark isn't available here).

Yeah you can just count them up. So five at 900 is 4,500 lumens.
    Now imagine a sphere of light radiating out from a point source on the ceiling.
    The light strength falls away with distance. The question is …How much is hitting the canvas.

At three feet from source to canvas the inverse square law of light gives you 11% of 4,500 lumens. 495.
    At four feet from source to canvas the inverse square law of light gives you 6% of 4,500 lumens. 270.
    At five feet from source to canvas the inverse square law of light gives you 4% of 4,500 lumens. 180.
    At six feet from source to canvas the inverse square law of light gives you 3% of 4,500 lumens. 135.

For comparison a good desk lamp is around 450 lumens. For sustained value discrimination 1000 lumens is the recommendation

Here is a neat graphic that is worth putting in the scrap book.

Looks like you will need more light.

Denis

dewald
  • dewalddewald -
    edited July 4
    @dencal 👏👏👏 This is really awesome and exactly what I needed. Thank you. 

Im about 4-5 feet away. Thus I need roughly 4 times the light I currently have. I may just get a tan in the process 😂
    dencal