On the hills

Did this Painting of a friend from her photo of her on the mountains, oil on panel 16 x 22 inches.
allforChristGTOArtGaljoydeschenestassieguyRichard_PheartofenglandDesertsky

Comments

• That's a different view point.  Interesting.
  • edited May 19
    Wow, very unique.  Impressive!

Do you know what mountains these are?
  • Wow, very unique.  Impressive!

Yes there are at a place called bone caves Inch na damp near Lochinver Scotland. 
  • Wow, very unique.  Impressive!

Inch na Damph
    allforChrist
  • That's a great view out of the cave, @cbor47. I wanted to do something similar, a grotto by the sea,  but I was afraid of all the dark. I don't know how to make my camera do what I need and so the reference I got just showed black inside the grotto and the bright light outside blew all the colour out. . No doubt a better photographer could have got it to work. I think what you have done works well.  :)
  • Really good composition! Very nice painting indeed :)
  • tassieguy said:
    That's a great view out of the cave, @cbor47. I wanted to do something similar, a grotto by the sea,  but I was afraid of all the dark. I don't know how to make my camera do what I need and so the reference I got just showed black inside the grotto and the bright light outside blew all the colour out. . No doubt a better photographer could have got it to work. I think what you have done works well.  :)
    Thanks, Tassieguy, The girl and her husband are good at taking Photos which
    they take a lot of whilst walking on the hills in Scotland, she is a friend of mine
    and gave me permission to paint from that  photograph which I just thought loved,
  • Richard_P said:
    Really good composition! Very nice painting indeed :)
    Thanks, Richard_P
  • May I ask what the biggest challenge was and which bits work for you the most?
  • Hi heartofengland, the biggest challenge was getting the girl right even although she is black against the mountain side, I could see features that would make her recognisable which she confirmed, I think overall everything works reasonably well, that said , never happy with any photos I take of finished paintings,  when   posted on this and other sites, you can see they lose some quality due to the fact I'm hopeless at photography,  I could blame the cheap camera but I would be the same with the top of the range😅
    heartofengland
  • @tassieguy I once saw a Mark’s video where he suggest taking two photos with a tipod, one adjusting for the light parts and the second adjusting for the shadows, and mixing them on photoshop… I haven’t tried ot out yet but it sounds like a good idea 😃
    cbor47tassieguy
  • Yes, the subtle highlight on the near leg and the cavern floor give it depth. It would have been easy to silhouette everything and lose the 3d. I like the posture of the figure, she has weight and movement.

I hope your friend is pleased😉 
    cbor47