cleaning palettes and brushes

Hi! This is my first time posting on a forum, I'm sorry if my question is misplaced. Honestly, I'm really desperate for some advice.

Ever since covid struck, I've been obsessively cleaning my watercolor palettes (the paint pans as well) and watercolor brushes with alcohol (close to isopropyl alcohol but not as strong).

I've been wondering if putting so much alcohol directly onto my paints would cause them to contaminate or deteriorate?

I also had a brief period where I washed my brushes with soap, and even though I believe I was thorough, I see bubbles forming every time I run my brush across my paints. I learnt later that detergent and soap does contaminate paints, and I'm worried they're all ruined. 

What would be the best thing to do right now? I'm looking to buy another palette completely, but I'm wondering how I should clean it - especially when I'm worried about COVID germs resting on the surface. Should I even worry about that?

Thank you for reading this long post, and thank you to anyone considering answering :) I wish you a good day!

Comments

• edited May 16
    Get vaccinated and stop worrying about COVID. It's here to stay. If you're vaccinated you're very unlikely to die of COVID or even get very sick.

Don't get alcohol anywhere near oil paints or brushes. I have no idea how it would effect watercolour but I know it's not good for oils which is what most of us use here. 

Welcome to the forum.  :)

quinpurple
  • tassieguy said:
    Get vaccinated and stop worrying about COVID. It's here to stay. If you're vaccinated you're very unlikely to die of COVID or even get very sick.

Don't get alcohol anywhere near oil paints or brushes. I have no idea how it would effect watercolour but I know it's not good for oils which is what most of us use here. 

Welcome to the forum.  :)

I am vaccinated! Honestly, I worry about it being on my paints since I sell commissions and I wouldn't want to give anything less than my best to customers. I don't worry for myself, haha.

I will keep the alcohol warning in mind, it might be time for me to invest in proper brush cleaning soap!

Thank you for the welcome and answer!:) 
  • edited May 16
     I worry about it being on my paints since I sell commissions and I wouldn't want to give anything less than my best to customers. I don't worry for myself, haha.
    Well, I guess it's up to them to use common sense and get vaccinated. You shouldn't have to worry about it. If they haven't been vaccinated they are much more likely to pick up COVID through contact with other people than from your paintings. And in the unlikely event that they do get it from your paintings, and haven't been vaccinated, then that is not your fault. It's theirs.  :)
  • It doesn't survive long on surfaces. Any paintings that have dried will not be any risk to others.
    tassieguy