Help with a painting

Hey all, 
Would really appreciate your help/input on this one. 
I took a picture a while ago and thought it would make a nice painting. See below for picture and a watercolor study.

Would you have any suggestions about moving/removing elements on the picture? 
Do you think there's a better way to crop the image?
Is it worth doing an oil painting of this?
Thx!
Marino
Gary_Heath

Comments

• Marino
    Looking good.

No!

No!

Yes!

Denis

Marinos_88allforChrist
  • I’m glad you dropped the gang symbols.  
    The composition looks great and I do think it will make a great oil painting .
    Marinos_88
  • Very cool picture & idea. I’m really drawn to the bottom left area with the curved  curb and light on the textured road, it’s a nice lead.  I definitely think there’s a painting in there. 
    Marinos_88
  • Wow! Looks really good
    Marinos_88
  • I like the composition a lot and I like your water colour study better than the photo. I don't think there's any need to remove or add anything. It's definitely worth doing as an oil painting.
    Marinos_88Gary_Heath
  • Thanks a lot for the replies!
    And would it be a good idea to stick with the study's colours? Orange for the lights and purple for the darks?
    Or try matching the pictures colour?

• I think the violet and orange works ok. Will you be using oils? If so, you'll be able to get a lot more depth in the darks. The buildings are basically silhouettes. I'd try to keep that look.
  • Hey Rob,
    Yeah I'm thinking oils, I suppose if I copy the saturation of the colours but change them it will look ok. More saturated in the foreground and less in the background.
    Yes I'll keep the buildings as silhouettes, and give a little bit more detail close to the traffic light. 
    Anyway, I'll give it a go see how it goes. Thx for the suggestions :)
    tassieguy
  • I like how you have done the study @Marinos_88 and with the light and silhouettes this looks like it will be great.

Looking forward to seeing it.

:) 
  • Thx @MichaelD, I hope it turns out ok😋
    I have a 40x50 panel and I'm wondering if I can use that panel, the thing is the area I'm going to use on the surface is less it's more like a 35x50. 
    Is that going to be a problem if I decide to frame it? 
    Thx
  • I like the picture and the study.
  • @Marinos_88

I don't think you need to try matching the picture's colour, but one of the striking aspects of the scene as shot, is the echo, or relationship between the bright orange of the sun/sky and its repetition if you will, in that glass rectangle.

So I would lean towards the picture rather than the watercolor, tone down the value of the road, and let the glass rectangle and the light of the sky, talk to one another.  IMHO

tassieguy
  • You've done a fantastic job protraying the light.  

Excited to see if you do an oil of it.  I hope you do. :)
  • @CBG you're right about the play of the light, I've done another study in an A4 artboard. This time I left out the person waking the dog in the distance and the car on the left. I think what drew me in the first place was the light and the antithesis of warms and cool colours. So I'll let that be the main focus of the painting.
    Here's the second sketch done in oil paint.

Not 100% satisfied with the colours. At the moment I'm using a screen to look at the picture as a reference for the colours. The think is that the screen isn't calibrated and I'm not sure if it's the same as my mobile phone. On my mobile phone in the picture the colours appear to be warmer.
    Here's the setup in the garage:

I'll work on the Sketch a bit more to get the colours right and when I'm happy with the result, I'll go ahead to copy the sketch onto a bigger 40cmx50cm wooden linen board.

CBG
  • edited 8:27AM
    @allforChrist thanks for your kind comment. I really don't think I'm there yet in regards to portraying the light beautifully, but I'm positive about this one. I'm taking my time to get it right and then copying it on a big canvas will be a piece of cake
  • CBGCBG -
    edited 10:39AM
    @Marinos_88

Looking great!  I think you are well on your way, and your commitment is inspiring.  Only you can paint it the way you want it but I would encourage you thusly, do not be afraid of the dark, only the darks can bring out and truly show the brilliance of the light.   Good luck!