My latest 2 paintings; architectural themed

edited April 18 in Post Your Paintings
Have recently finished 2 small paintings.  13"x9" and 10"x8"

The first is of a photo titled "Full Moon"  @roman posted a while ago.  I have been waiting for it to harden thoroughly prior to auctioning it as a fundraiser for Ukraine.   

The next is one for myself.  It is the third I have done of the same subject.   I took the photo a few years ago of the family home roofline.   I have always planned to paint the angles.   I have given one away to a family member, will sell an even smaller version.    This one, I would like to keep for a while.   As I painted it, it brought to mind the wonderful angles and colours of one of my favourite ever paintings:  Frederick McCubbin "Old Stables"
https://www.ngv.vic.gov.au/explore/collection/work/5988/

Critiques welcomed, however, I will not be changing these unless someone points out some glaring deficiency in either of them.    I have another 5 paintings on the go at the moment and another eye operation next week which may leave me with limited sight for a month or more as the last operation did.  Thanks for looking and for comments.
allforChristtassieguyGary_Heath

Comments

• These are both good, @toujours

All the best for the operation.  :)
  • You pulled off the “Full Moon” quite nicely.  I wasn’t sure how it would work as a painting at first.  
    I like all the angles in the roof line painting.  My only (minor) suggestion is to add a bit more blue in the upper left part of the sky.  I think that  will help accentuate the white of the sky and bring out more if the reddish Orange in the roofline.
    Best of luck with your operation.
  • Thank you @tassieguy, and @GTO.  I too hope the operation goes well.    It has been difficult living with seeing different colours out of each eye since my lens was replaced.    The worst part is  that my brain does not mix the 2 colours together, but I see patches of each colour on the one item.   Solid coloured items look to have sun bleached patches all over them and it is tricky mixing paint colours.  Hopefully the yellow lens will more match my original eye.   
     I am told the clear lens they gave me and are now replacing is how we see the world at 20, and as we age, our lenses yellow.   It is true, the clear lens gives a purer white than my old eye sees, however, all the reds, pinks, greens etc.... are so much duller and greyed out.   Like there is an ultraviolet grey glaze over the world.   Not half as pretty as the yellowed world I have become used to seeing as I aged!!

@GTO, I admit, I was tentative over the blue.  I was tempted to leave it fully unfinished, then dabbed a bit of blue on, but lost my nerve to go the whole hog.     Perhaps next time I have some cobalt blue out, I can add a bit....Thanks for the confidence vote, colour still scares me sometimes.
  • @toujours did they give you a color test before your surgery?  I know there is a test in the military that determines what colors you can and cannot see.  I’ve taken that test before back in my school days.
  • GTO said:
    @toujours did they give you a color test before your surgery?  I know there is a test in the military that determines what colors you can and cannot see.  I’ve taken that test before back in my school days.
    No, not half so sophisticated as to a colour test.    Was never mentioned as an option.   Probably because on the national scheme, coloured lenses are not funded.   I cant afford private.   They gave me the best they had at the public hospital, so it would last a long time.   The surgeon feels that it is the fact I paint that means I am observing the difference to a greater degree than his other patients.   He has kindly offered to fund the more expensive, private sector, yellowed (blue blocking) lens.  Perhaps he was sorry the original operation left me with abrasions to my cornea that were compounded by the drops I had to administer and it was 3 months before I could see properly.   My eye still aches.    I am hoping the iodine does not do too much more damage to the existing scar tissue, but I also have difficulty living with the different lenses, so tossed a coin and under the knife I go again!
    The surgeon was thrilled when I explained the values are the same, but the hues are completely different from each eye.    He said that meant he had done a really good job on the operation he did at the back of my eye.    Comforting!

Left and right eye difference currently and the similar values.
  • @toujours that’s very interesting.  My wife may be going in for cataract surgery this summer.  I did not know that you can end up seeing so differently after such a surgery.  I did not know there are different types of lenses.
  • @GTO, I did not know those things either until after the lens was replaced and I noticed the differences and started asking questions.  I understand the yellow lens I am getting is worth about NZ$1500 +, which will be why the public sector don't supply them, however, no option was given prior to surgery.

I gather some people see different colours naturally, however, have not spoken to anyone to know if the brain mixes the colours into one, or they see random patches as I do?  I am told the patches are probably the brain deciphering the strongest image from each part of each eye.
    My other eye will need doing sometime as well, since it also has a cataract forming, so I may end up in the same situation if the surgeon does not want to fund another yellow lens!
    Hope your wife's surgery goes without a hitch. At least you will have more of an idea of the right questions to ask, prior to the day.
  • @toujours that is all very interesting.  I wonder now if I took the color test using each eye individually if the results would match.  I think my eyes see a different value and my left eye sees a brighter yellow.  But I never really noticed before.  I’ve always used my right eye for value/color checking.  
    Thank you for the info on lens’.  We will be sure to ask a lot of questions before doing anything.
  • GTO said:
    @toujours that is all very interesting.  I wonder now if I took the color test using each eye individually if the results would match.  I think my eyes see a different value and my left eye sees a brighter yellow.  But I never really noticed before.  I’ve always used my right eye for value/color checking.  
    Thank you for the info on lens’.  We will be sure to ask a lot of questions before doing anything.
    As I understand it; if you see different values with each eye (I do not), then the retina of the eye that sees the darker value has been damaged.  I was wrong once back in the 1980's so there is always a chance.....! (Joke)
    All the best in your discoveries it is a fascinating thing once you take note of what we see and how we see it.
  • @toujours I don’t think there is any damage.  I recently went to an eye doctor and they took pictures of my retina and everything looks good.  My simple test was to put a sheet of white paper against the wall and the from three feet away look at it with each eye and compare the whiteness.  One eye sees a slightly brighter white (minor but still perceptible).  
  • GTO said:
    @toujours I don’t think there is any damage.  I recently went to an eye doctor and they took pictures of my retina and everything looks good.  My simple test was to put a sheet of white paper against the wall and the from three feet away look at it with each eye and compare the whiteness.  One eye sees a slightly brighter white (minor but still perceptible).  
    Ye, I see a brighter white with my new, soon to be replaced lens, but that is more a colour difference as the my real lens sees a cream colour when the 2 are compared.  Perhaps it is a chroma difference, but I don't think so.  On its own, my old lens sees white, it is only when I compare, I notice the difference.   However, I am choosing to live without the pure white, as the rest of the world with that lens is slightly grey/ultraviolet and not as pretty.

In my case, value subject arose from grey and rather then from looking at white or black.   My test for myself, ( which seemed to impress the surgeon for some reason) was to look at the grey of the colour I see out of each eye.  I was told that because these are basically the same, there is no retina damage to my eye which bled.

Raises lots of questions.   
  • Love the way you resolved the ruined building. The other one is a fascinating perspective that abstracts the shapes in such a pleasing way.
  • Thank you @Abstraction,  I have always liked the photos I took of those rooflines and thought it should work as a painting.    Looking at my photos last night, I see I have taken similar photos of other buildings over the years, so may have to do a series of rooflines one day!