Painting over Stabilo pencil marks

Mark recommends Stabilo pencils for sketching on the canvas.  I like to make my sketches with a lot of shading and detail and have been using Stabilo 8046 black and Stabilo white 8052 pencils, but these pencils appear waxy to me.  I am concerned that paint might not bond adequately to the canvas where the pencil marks are dense.  Do I need to be concerned about this?

Comments

• dencaldencal -
    edited March 7
    ASCooperband

Yes. I think you are right. A waxy pencil will weaken the adhesion process.

Suggestions:
    Use a clear gesso or workable fixative over your drawing, though this may just weaken the gesso/support layers.

Try using a charcoal pencil. This will allow lots of shading and detail and maintain adhesion.

https://youtu.be/y52zRPoezjU

I use Stabilo Carbothello pencils. These are a chalky/pastel type, non waxy, full colour range.

Denis
  • Artists have added wax to their paint for years.  Oil paint happily takes up wax.  The only thing I would worry about is using black, which, if much is used, may shade your paint a touch off color.
  • I  use watercolour pencils and have found no real difficulty with them.  I do not put shading detail in (just a few diagonal lines to indicate large dark areas).  I tend to use earth hues., which suits my usual palette.