How to make floating picture frames

Comments

• edited January 29
    Great video, @Dencal.

Floating frames are what I use. I wish I had a workshop and tools and time to make them myself. It would save me heaps. 
  • Rob

As near as I can figure you have nine fully equipped and staffed workshops in Hobart.
    A subscription to one of them means you could be coming home with a dozen floaters after a pleasant afternoons work.

Denis
  • Cheers, @dencal. Nice idea, and thanks for the research, but I don't have the skills or the time to acquire them. And I'd probably spend most of the time in a men's shed having a beer and chatting.  It costs me, but I'm inclined to leave framing to those who have the time, skills and resources to do it well. That way, I can get on with painting. But, on the other hand,  maybe a men's shed would be good for me in some ways.  :)
  • Rob

Men’s Sheds are populated by carpenters, electricians and all sorts of tradies (even lawyers) who are only to willing to teach, advise and assist. With the net videos and a couple of hours tuition you cold learn all there is to know about floating frames. Doesn’t require talent. Just passion and persistence B)
    tassieguy
  • edited January 29
    Cheers, @dencal. I'll look into it.  Maybe I an also learn to cut aluminium panels square and to the sizes I want. West Moonah looks closest to me. :)
    dencal
  • I make musical instruments from scratch. Paper to timber to playing. I'm repairing a 25yo harp today that had a great fall. But I totally hesitate to attempt the millimetre perfect mitres on frames. The right framing mitre cutting equipment or forget it. I am a member of a men's shed and they have framing equipment and a guy offered to teach - I just work and can never get there. I really should while he's still there.
    dencal