Seller's Remourse

Hi All

Sold a painting with instant regret. So I painted another one. Here it is with the reference photo.

Ever happened to you?

Richard_PanweshaMJCGary_Heath

Comments

• We’re you upset about the sale price? Your work is simply amazing! I literally cannot tell which one is the photo. Just incredible realism! Love your work!
    Mio
  • You don't have much worries if you can do a second version equally as good!!
    Mio
  • pcstaples said:
    We’re you upset about the sale price? Your work is simply amazing! I literally cannot tell which one is the photo. Just incredible realism! Love your work!
    I had to make it available in the exhibition. Still life doesn't sell well there, so I thought it was safe. But sold on the last day. I wanted to keep it 😂
  • I recently sold a painting of several horses at a show that I had priced pretty high thinking no one would buy it.  It was picked up the first day.  I wanted to enter it in other shows this next summer. I'm thinking about painting a reverse image, so I understand how you feel about it.
    Mio
  • I think it’s great that the work sold.  My feeling is that it is better that your best work is sold and appreciated by others.  I can also understand wanting to show a great piece at multiple exhibits.  The Smith and Wesson revolver I did got into three shows.  Which I was glad about.  It got an award at one show and sold at the third show.  
    Mio
  • Congratulations and commiserations on the sale, @Mio.   It's a  beautiful painting and it's good that you have the skills to be able to repaint it. It's like having your cake and eating it, too.  :)

I've never regretted selling a painting. However, I have had to repaint pictures that sold before I expected them to. For example, last year I had painted three that I intended for my annual exhibition but they sold months prior to the show opening. I liked those paintings a lot and they were integral to the show. However, I still had all the reference material so I painted them again for the show where they sold again. I was a bit worried about whether it was ok to do this but folks here and my gallery director reassured me that it was ok to paint and sell a painting more than once. 
    Mio
  • that was an amazing work.... i repainted the first painting i sold... but the process of repainting was too tedious .. though the result was not.  and since then i haven't repainted anything. 
    Mio
  • @Mio
    This is where being an illustrator is a better deal. You send your work in. It gets used. You get paid. You get your painting back. Sometimes multiple rights repeating several times.

I never regret selling a painting. 
  • I was doing a show at Mystic CT 8 years ago. There was painter with about 50 beautiful paintings of Asian peasant life in his booth. I saw him sell a painting. As soon as the customer was out of sight he pulled out a duplicate of the sold painting. Okay in print making but not painting. It devalues the work. 
  • edited December 2021
    Monet painted the same haystack multiple times. And Rouen Cathedral. And the pond with water lilies in his garden. I don't think they are in any way devalued because there is more than one of them. If a painting works, and the artist wants to paint it again and someone wants to buy the new version then that's great for the artist and for the happy buyer. It is quite acceptable and does not devalue the work. And it's not as if one would turn them out in batches like scones. And, anyway, no two paintings are exactly the same. There will always be subtle differences in brushwork for example. There's nothing wrong legally or morally with doing a painting again. The art police may not like it but who are they? And who cares what they like or don't like?

(Edited for spelling & syntax)
    AnnieCBGMio
  • Very beautiful paintings.  

I just went through this feeling this week :(  so good to have that replacement :)  you did an excellent job.
    Mio
  • @KingstonFineArt I guess there are mixed views on "duplicates". Many famous artists made the same subject multiple times. Seems fine for most people. At the other end of the spectrum is "factory art" which I can understand would be frowned upon, and even wholly undesirable.

There have been a few times I did the same subject a couple of times. Often changing the format, cropping, or reverse image. It can be good for practice .. or replacements.
  • Painting the same subject or scene multiple times in an exploration of color and form seems to be a noble endeavor. Repainting a painting because it's missed seems a vanity. When I sell a painting I say goodbye old friend you taught me well. Time to move on to new learning experiences. And I have a perfect replica as a digital image. 
  • But it's not about how it seems to you, @KingstonFineArt. It's about how it seems to a painter who wants to make another painting of the same subject. Where is the vanity in that? You may be happy with your digital image. Fine. That's you.  But you are not the absolute authority on what is acceptable in art and I see no reason to frown on a painter for doing a painting again and even selling it again. Where is it written, and by whose authority, is redoing a painting unacceptable?
  • @tassieguy
    A painting of the same subject is not a duplicate from the same reference. You mentioned Monet's haystacks as if they were simply subject matter. The were explorations of light, time and atmosphere within his emerging color construct. These painting, his cathedrals and Lilly pads changed the world or art forever. Yet you dismiss Monet's Haystacks a copies.

• No, I do not dismiss them as copies, even though some are very similar. What I did say is that even if one does make a copy of a work one has done before, there will always be slight differences, in brushwork for example. It's very hard, if not impossible,  to make an exact copy. But even if one could do it, I'd see nothing wrong with that.
  • Painting the same subject or scene multiple times in an exploration of color and form seems to be a noble endeavor. Repainting a painting because it's missed seems a vanity. When I sell a painting I say goodbye old friend you taught me well. Time to move on to new learning experiences. And I have a perfect replica as a digital image. 
    I guess I am just vain, then. Also cheap since I didn't even try to buy it back 🙃
    StephanHMGary_Heath