Comments

• edited December 2021
    I love the association with the poem and the design, the path winding us up to the subject, sea behind...
    I do think the clouds lack perspective. They look a little like they're hung vertically rather than hung upon the dome of the sky into the distance. Did you have a photo reference? I confess I haven't mastered clouds and probably wouldn't be able to successfully paint them without at least some photo references to riff from. I intend to study them one day: types of cloud formations - which ones have flat base /billow /stretched out..., also perspective towards horizon, aerial perspective (is how the atmosphere shifts their values and colour), understanding how they interact with light source... How to translate those things into paint.
    And the guy I will turn to first for clouds is the unexpectedly insightful Muraljoe. Unexpected because he paints murals in acrylics in a slapdash manner, and you mightn't want to paint exactly like he does... But when he explains he has these incredible insights into what is happening and why and how to capture it in paint. I learnt far more about painting waves and water from him than any of the more renowned YouTube folk. 
    allforChrist
  • Thanks very much for your thoughts, @Abstraction.  Here's the reference.  I agree a study of cloud values and formations would be really enriching...

Unfortunately my painting is not even close to the reference. :(
  • I love this.  Your painting is the truth, the style is beautiful.
    allforChrist
  • You need to take note of the values in the reference and compare them to your painting. I like the composition and the idea but your values need some work.
    allforChrist
  • As others have mentioned, if you wanted to enhance the realism you would need to study the values closely and do careful colour matching.  :)

However, there is a certain chunkiness about this that I like, @allforChrist. Lots of texture. And the composition is pleasing - I like the path and the sea behind and the lively sky. I also like that it is so obviously a painting rather than just a copy of a photo.  :)

allforChrist
  • Thanks very much for your comments @oilpainter1950 and @tassieguy.  

I'm planning a large (for me) painting that should take many weeks, with careful color matching of everything. :)
    tassieguy
  • Unfortunately my painting is not even close to the reference. :(
    I don't agree - I'm not sure it's far off now that you've shared it. I'm looking closely at the reference for my own benefit because I want to understand clouds. I notice that for the cumulus clouds in the distance the flatness of the bottom is more accentuated, because we are seeing them slightly from the side. The clouds that are closer we see more from underneath so the shape looks different.
    The distant clouds the grey at the bottom is darker because we are looking across it, not into it - if that makes sense. And the grey is more bluish because there is more aerial perspective and perhaps deeper sea reflections beneath. I also notice that there is above them all the streaky stratus clouds like a background and they have less warmth and contrast in them.

allforChrist
  • There’s a rich storybook feel to your painting.  The clouds are fantastic.  I wouldn’t change anything there.  The road is welcoming and the composition is well balanced.  The only minor suggestion is just a slight bit more adjustment to the shapes of the top of the structure of the castle.  But keep the atmospheric perspective. Just change the shapes.  

allforChrist
  • Hey @allforChrist
    Nice try!

My personal opinion(that could potentially be wrong) is that the design is weak(unless you can use artistic license and tweek the light). I can't speak for the composition because in a different light setting the same composition could look better. If I had to paint from that reference image I would struggle. 
    I found my self, when I first started painting, choosing the worst photos (bad light, composition and design). I struggled so badly and I would get frustrated and eventually disappointed.
    Mark said on one of his videos that if you have a good picture you're nearly done with the painting. I didn't realize what was he taking about until I gained more experience.
    It's good practice to start with small value sketches before proceeding with a painting. 
    If the professional artists do it, then you definitely have to. 
    It really helped me to reject some pictures that looked good but when I tried to sketch them I realized how difficult painting will be if I decided to proceed with them.
    Maybe if you try to take the same picture under different light conditions(best is around dawn or dusk) 

Are you trying to get as close as possible to the reference or create a feeling of light, colour and distance?

Please don't take my reply too seriously  :p my intentions are good

allforChrist
  • I'm familiar with Lindisfarne and the greater activities that took place there, very interesting! I guess I have some enthusiasm attached to this subject as well.

I like what you have done, however it looks more like a study in basic shapes and color of the composition, and quite flat.
     If you want to pursue this, further development will be needed.
    For composition I would rearrange this or further crop it to fit the rule of 3rd's, this would bring the building slightly in closer to the center of the composition without losing too many other details in this story.
    I would develop a value sketch, this is a great subject for applying 2, 3 or 4x values, the final painting could follow suite.
    The building lacks detail work that would bring it into better focus within the composition.
    There are enough elements in this photo to make a very good painting from, but may need a little more creativity to bring more life into it in the final rendering.

Just me.
    allforChrist
  • i really like the brush strokes and simplicity in this work... and a fairy-tale-ish feel...  i would not change much in it :)
    allforChrist
  • How interesting, @Forgiveness, that you are familiar with this place.  Very exciting for me!

Thanks also for your detailed feedback. :)

Thank you very much for your kind words @anwesha :)
    Forgiveness
  • You're welcomed! I'm equally excited to know someone here that is familiar with Lindisfarne. 
     I just learned of it from my current teacher & friend 1+1/2+ years ago now, in good detail. We are new group that are working on greater things that have been borrowed from there. And we're having fun! 😂😅🤣😁😉
    allforChrist