Post your favourite painting!

Hello everyone!

I'm not new here on the forum, but I thought it might be nice to create a thread for all new and old members, just so anyone could post their favourite painting or paintings. It could be a chance to appreciate the work of masters and share which one spoke to you the most! Maybe it's a chance to find something you haven't seen before.

Please feel free to share any of your favourite paintings and some thoughts if you'd like as well.:) You can post multiple times if you stumble upon something new, that you'd like to share here. If you attach a painting to this thread, please make sure, you mention the artist's name at least.

Have a great day!

Comments

• This painting is my personal favourite. I was hesitating at first, because I wanted to share more paintings, but I had an awfully hard time to choose a second and/or third one. However I had no doubts about this, as it is the closest to me because how dynamic and exciting this painting is to me with the lighting, the pose and the expressions.

J.S.Sargent - El Jaleo

ArtGaljoydeschenesGTOAbstraction
  • edited December 2021
    Favorite paintings is a good idea for a thread, @tamasgodanyi. :)

I love landscape most of all, and Australian landscapes in particular. There are so many I could have chosen but this one has always spoken most forcefully to me. I first saw it as a child in the National Gallery of Victoria in Melbourne, Australia. It enthralled me then, and each time I have returned to the gallery over the sixty years since I first saw it, it has delighted afresh. 

The Purple Noon's Transparent Might  -  Arthur  Streeton, 1896 - Oil on Canvas - 123cm X 123cm

I love the composition and the square format. And he captured the strong light and vibrant colours of eastern Australia perfectly. And then there is the painterly quality of the brushwork and texture (which don't show up well in a photo). This is an Australian landscape masterpiece.

Arthur Streeton is admired by Mark Carder who in one of his videos mentions Streeton's  work very favorably along with Sargent's.  
    joydeschenesAbstractionallforChristtamasgodanyi
  • Has to be this one:
    Girls Among Trees by August Macke who sadly died aged 27 fighting in WW1.

I just love the composition and use of colours. The visual game he set out for us to play is always a treat for me personally :)
    Abstractiontassieguytamasgodanyi
  • For me it has to be the portrait by Rembrandt of Margaretha de Geer, wife of Jacob Trip. The first time I saw it in the National Gallery in London it made me gasp out loud. No photo does it justice as he manages to express so much emotion in this painting, but here is a section of her face:

allforChristtassieguytamasgodanyi
  • edited December 2021

My favorite painting.  Check out the level of detail on this huge painting. 

This painting is 32 feet by 19 feet... try and measure that out somewhere to get a feel for the size!!!

'The Consecration of the Emperor Napoleon and the Coronation of the Empress Josephine' by Jacques Louis David

Abstractiontassieguytamasgodanyi
  • @tassieguy I think it's masterful and like you as a child this giant painting struck me when I saw it and ever since. Australian summer light makes you squint. European artists struggled to capture this light until the iconic  Heidelberg School of artists (suburb of Melbourne. I think they named a city in Germany after it ;) ) of which he was a part.
    tassieguytamasgodanyi