Landscape

This is second landscape I've tried so far. the first one was very bad. i think this one is better, thanks for your opinion/critique!

BuckytassieguyCBGkaustavMPaulBanweshaoilpainter1950Gary_HeathMarinos_88

Comments

• Beautiful meandering perspective in moody light.
  • I really like the path through this, @ArtGl. The eye goes right, then left, then up into the background and sky, then down to the field and back along the fence to start the journey again. I also like your painterly treatment of the foreground grass and road.   :)
  • I love the light and that slightly bent tree in the almost middle is everything !
  • @ArtGal really nice greens and I also like your path. 
  • Quiet... I love the tree foliage... great stuff
  • This is actually a good landscape and it has great sense of lighting. Some corner areas could be a bit darker to heighten the CFP a little. I would also add a few dents in the trees on the left to make it even more natural. Trunks could be be thinner. Overall, excellent work.
  • Thank you @Abastraction, @tassieguy, @Annie, @joydeschenes, @Nate, @kaustavM for your kind comments and suggestions, I appreciate it much :)
    tassieguy
  • beautiful mood, cloudy yet bright.. was there an opening in the clouds on the side away from us that's allowing the sun in the meadow? i like your treatment of the grass..
  • Thank so much @anwesha for your kind comment :)
  • Very nice.  My second, third, through about 100 landscapes had to be chunked.  You're doing great.
  • edited December 2021
    I like it a lot. 

While I like the composition, I do think the road in front goes immediately off the canvas.  That is one of the basic rules broken, though the whole theory around eye movement has apparently been disproven.

It seems that the tallest, central, tree is the focal point.  I like the way the bulk of it is painted.  But there is a lot going on with the sky lighted foliage.  While detail guides the eye around the focal point, it just seems hard to explain all that detail when the foreground is so much less in focus.  This can be the result of painting from photographs. 

I find my eye pulled to the right in the skyline, because there are so many more sky holes there.  and it may be what you wanted, and certainly could be the scene.  I found it distracting.

The small tree near the center of the painting looks to me as though it has it's own spotlight.  A unique light source.

There are trees above the second fence post on the left that have a bunch of very distinct splotches. They cover different sized trees, and it is not clear what would make them.
  • edited December 2021
    I would suggest going to Ian Robert's channel.  His pictures seem a little hit and miss, for my taste, but he gets almost less detail in that anyone I regularly see.  If you look at a few of his videos at speed, you will probably see some paintings you like, and be surprised how little detail is required.

Someone who is very good, but also uses not too much detail (not to say that is necessary, just interesting), is Marc Dalessio.  You can watch this video and see a lot of his paintings and look at detail, and near and far, and so on.

Marc has some excellent videos shot from his tutorials, but he gets so many questions that he is not able to finish most of the paintings, and so scoping them for details in the finished pieces is often pointless.

The key thing is to create the impression with detail, that you want. Not random, or as if you were trying it out, even only in small parts of the painting.  You may have achieved exactly the effect you intended.

• Thank you so much @TamDeal for your detailed critique. it's certainly helpful!
    Also thank you for posting this videos, both are amazing. Mark Dalessio paintings are beautiful :)