The crazy price of art DVDs

Can someone please tell me why art DVDs are so freaking expensive?

I have watched several of the 'free' sneak peaks of some of the videos on Youtube and I would love to see the whole thing, but I just cant justify spending, in most cases, at least $100 to $200 dollars for a 2 hour or so demo of 1 or 2 paintings.  I find the ones produced by Liliedahl to be well done and I am using their website as an example for pricing.  

Who is paying these prices?  Why are they so expensive?  It can't be very costly to produce them.  All they need is the artist and a couple of cameras.  I have seen some rather sketchy online sites that are kind of like the old Netflix where they send you a physical copy of a DVD and you get to pick or or 2 titles at a time for something like $20 a month.  That seems much more reasonable, but I dont know if I trust the websites and why cant I just stream them?

Would love to watch exactly how the masters do and and buy some of the videos by Schmid, Lafell, Robert Johnson, Camille Przewodek, etc. but those prices are just outrageous.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Well you have come to the right place as Mark provides many many hours of free videos with great contents and art lessons.
    Yes he has ones you can buy too, but of course there is no obligation and you can still learn his method from the free content that he provides.

Happy painting.  
  • Hi MichaelD, sorry it seems I accidentally posted the same topic twice.  I have watched many of Mark's videos and appreciate them, but I would also love to watch Schmid, Przewodek, Robert Johnson, Lafell and others that have outrageously expensive DVDs.
  • I think it's a case that if you can sell 10,000 copies you can sell at a low price and make a big profit. But if you are only going to sell <100 copies then it's not worth the cost unless each DVD is high priced.
    CBG
  • I guess they have always been expensive because they were seen as another way of 'attending' a class which are also usually expensive.
    I think in this day and age with the internet there are numerous free or cheap alternatives but seen as they are still being sold for those amounts then some people are buying them.
  • It's because they are antiques.
  • Intothevoid, 

I guess I can see what you're saying, but I don't see how they can compare a 1-2 hour DVD to the cost of a live in person class that is much longer (usually over several days) and includes personal interaction and instruction from the artist.  I agree there must be someone buying them as there seem to be hundreds of titles available.  
  • CBGCBG -
    edited January 15
    @jlusk

I suggest if you are ever in the business of producing instructional videos or DVDs, to consider very carefully what price the market will bear for your product.

If your product is very good and you are well known you can charge higher and still expect an optimum number of purchasers.  But one must be careful to tune that price keeping in mind that it has an effect on the number of buyers.

If you raise your price too high the reduction in numbers of buyers will predominate over the increase in price per unit and you will make less money.  Conversely, if you charge too little, the limited increase in numbers of buyers (demand for anything is finite… numbers of buyers of art DVDs are minuscule compared to people buying Taylor Swift cds) is insufficient to offset the reduction in price.  

Somewhere in the middle is the optimum price in the market for what you are offering.  Find that price and you will be rewarded with an amount you deserve (others are optimally willing to pay) and ignore any sentiment or hesitation in you about whether you might cause any particular person out there to feel any outrage.  They clearly are not in the market for what you have to offer.

In the meanwhile these same considerations apply when considering another artist’s approach to the market.

As for whether or not any particular art DVD is worth it to you to pay for, I realize it is hard for you to judge without having viewed it first.  So all you can rely on is other reviews, and any other info you can discern about the probable content of the DVD… then compare that with any other thing you can buy with the money.

$100 is a lot of beer, maybe 3 family meals at a fast food joint, one family meal at a poor restaurant, a single person’s meal at a decent restaurant, a family outing to one or two modern mediocre movies, or 3 or 4 potentially really good books…

Would you rather have the DVD and not the $100 bucks or have the $100 bucks and no DVD?  The answer is as simple as that!  IMHO

Just my thoughts.