Art DVDs - why so expensive?

Can someone please tell me why art DVDs are so freaking expensive?

I have watched several of the 'free' sneak peaks of some of the videos on Youtube and I would love to see the whole thing, but I just cant justify spending, in most cases, it costs at least $100 to $200 dollars for a 2 hour or so demo of 1 or 2 paintings.  I find the ones produced by Liliedahl to be well done and I am using their website as an example for pricing.  

Who is paying these prices?  Why are they so expensive?  It can't be very costly to produce them.  All they need is the artist and a couple of cameras.  I have seen some rather sketchy online sites that are kind of like the old Netflix where they send you a physical copy of a DVD and you get to pick or or 2 titles at a time for something like $20 a month.  That seems much more reasonable, but I dont know if I trust the websites and why cant I just stream them?

Would love to watch exactly how the masters do and and buy some of the videos by Schmid, Lafell, Robert Johnson, Camille Przewodek, etc. but those prices are just outrageous.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Well you have come to the right place as Mark provides many many hours of free videos with great contents and art lessons.
    Yes he has ones you can buy too, but of course there is no obligation and you can still learn his method from the free content that he provides.

Happy painting.  =)
    jean_kahler
  • Speaking as one working through Mark’s on-line classes , they have been very helpful and informative. I have looked over several programs and this one is proving to be the best. The main thing to remember is to follow his steps even if you had been taught differently before.  To me it seemed very anti- just get in there and paint. But now I see the reason for the process. Hope you enjoy too @jlusk
  • I suspect the answer to your question is much the same as the answer to the question, why does a dog lick himself.  Answer . . . because he can.  You're right, some of those CD prices look like down payments on a Russian nuclear submarine. 
    However, I'll give you at least one thing to contemplate about high priced instructional videos:  If it is a CD from an artist you truly admire and want to learn from, it's probably worth the price.  Remember, you can play that thing over and over as often as you like, unlike a one-week workshop costing about 5 or more time the price of the CD.  When the workshop is over, all you have is your memory and a few notes while the CD will always be available for review. 
    One of my favorite artists who produces instructional CDs is John Howard Sanden.  I have several of his videos, some of which I've watched until my player groans when I plug in the same CD for the umpteenth time.  I feel I've gotten my money's worth from his CDs.
    Finally, you will not go wrong watching and absorbing all of Mark's instructional videos on this website.  I rank Mark up there with my top three or four artists.  He knows his stuff.
    A final thought . . . be cautious about which CDs you buy.  An awful lot of them are nothing but watching a guy paint with a few of his favorite thoughts tossed in for a couple of hours.  I have a few like that, too.  Total waste of time and my money.  Artists like Mark and Sanden at least talk you through the work as they perform it.
  • The artists you mentioned have worked all their live making art. Artists DVD sales is not a giant market. A couple of hundred bucks is really very little for what they return. Some of the best are gone and their heirs carry on with their media. $50 to 200 is cheap for most of the artists you mention. Schmid and Lafell's DVDs are brilliant. Great artist and teachers. Their DVD's are cheap.
    I suggest you find an artist you like and do one of their in person workshops. Get feedback from the horse's mouth. Personal interaction with someone you admire is priceless.