I wish I could paint like this but...

I wish I could paint like this but neither have I a degree nor such an extraordinary skill and emotional depth.  :'( 

KingstonFineArtCBGArtGal

Comments

• Not me, I don't see it.  But's it's all in what you like.
    kaustavM
  • This seems to be related to street art or graffiti art.  Maybe an angry Paul Klee.  😀
    The artist appears to dress and look like his art.
    kaustavMHunter1
  • edited November 17
    @GTO Paul Klee was a master and had great skill in realism and then abstraction. It seems this artist has been trained in imitation.  :s I just saw some of his other paintings. definitely trained in imitation!
    Hunter1
  • @kaustavM
    I do appreciate Basquiat today but I didn't when he was around. He was chasing his. demons for surest still made some great stuff. He was in a way a representational artist. Much to be learned looking at his work. I could not handle being in the emotional place you'd have to go to create this stuff.
  • CBGCBG -
    edited November 17
    @kaustavM

I ran across this on youtube.  Disclaimer: this may or may not be on topic; you tell me.  ;)

https://youtu.be/ZZ3F3zWiEmc

• @CBG thanks for posting the video. The high end market is an amazing money machine.  
    The comments regarding how artists lose out reminds me of an Iggy Pop lyric…
    “It’s a playground to the rich, but it’s a loaded gun to me.”  Iggy Pop - Kill City
  • edited November 17
     $62 billion spent each year by the hyper-rich in the high end market on the work of just a handful of dead artists. Ridiculous! The whole thing is a scam and a tax dodge for the already wealthy.  If ever a market needed regulation it's the high end art market.  Let them pay $100 million for a painting if they want, but not at the expense of ordinary working folk who pay most of the tax while the rich pay little or nothing through tax evasion schemes like this. There should be a whopping capital gains tax on art sold in this high end market.
    anwesha
  • @CBG
    Thanks for the post. An interesting view.

This video is right on and right off. The high end art market is a fairly recent phenomenon. The past 50 years or so. Even with all the tax dodging involved. The newer pieces sold create a focus. 
    I don't like the whole process but that doesn't mean I don't like the art. The video makes an absurd example of finding a Leonardo painting in a shift shop common occurrence. An educated art sleuth always on the prowl found the brass ring. Big deal.

I have a bigger issue with the 'art world'. The institutionalization of young artists. Trapped by having to create an impressive CV rather than create impressive art. What artist did they study with, show in or had a connection to is more important. Artist are tracked into academic prison and huge debt. Once upon a time young people were taught by artists with little on their resume than good work. Not academics with a good CV like today. 

There's a movie on HBO called the Price of Everything. About the beginning of the modern Gallery and Auction house wealth cheats.

Abstraction
  • @tassieguy There are some loop holes in art or any collectible that is kept in a Free Zone.  You can avoid sales tax and VAT.  But if you move the work out of the free zone you will have to pay taxes based on the country you move it to.  Or you can just leave it in the free zone and sell or trade it there.  But you would still be requiring pay capital gains in any sale even if it stays in the free zone.
    https://www.wealthmanagement.com/art-auctions-antiques-report/freeports-art-world

• In my opinion, this painting is not impressive or relatable to the viewer.  But I know some would appreciate it.
  • I have a bigger issue with the 'art world'. The institutionalization of young artists. Trapped by having to create an impressive CV rather than create impressive art. What artist did they study with, show in or had a connection to is more important.
    In all forms of art the most 'successful' seems to include both the body of work and the artist's aura - created by image or backstory narrative or mystique or infamy. And it's hard to separate what people are really attracted to. If you want to sell for top dollar you have to play the art version of rock god. (I'm really just expounding on your term CV @KingstonFineArt .)
    Vincent embodies it with this incredible true backstory that conjures not just the soul of the man, but an emotional response in us to his work (but his work really is stunning.) Banksy. If he was a geezer called Jason Jones doing interviews and smiling for the camera - yet he's perhaps my favourite contemporary artist.  David Bowie's shifting persona WAS his art project if you've listened to him carefully. It was crafted carefully. His music was great - but together it became iconic. Led Zeppelin could do something bad - trash a hotel room - which is vandalism but somehow cool - and it improved their reputation. Milli Vanilli - everyone loved the music - but did something bad but different - break the image, music suddenly worthless.
  • @Abstraction
     When I referred to CV refer to the equivalent to a resume in the corporate world. When I was younger I taught at SVA and Pratt. I had no degrees whatsoever. The department heads didn't either. Recently I was asked to come in to a community college where the dept head has no degree. I was turned down because I had no Masters Degree. SVA is a rare exception. Most teachers are first top talents in their fields. 

In the past 25 years all aspects of higher education have trapped students in all disciplines into endless debt. Granting degrees that haven't got any value. It's the debt to value that is criminal. A Graduate Degree in art today even with a perfectly filled out CV isn't worth the 20 years of debt. 

• If you really want to peek into the murky world of the high end money launderi...sorry art world then look no further than the 'black box of the art business' also known as the Geneva Freeport