Snow Drift - 30" X 40" - OOC (A better photo)

edited November 14 in Post Your Paintings
I got the canvas covered tonight . Still a bit to do but thought I'd ask for feedback. 

This is the latest in my series, The Mountain. It's late spring and the snows are melting leaving just the deepest drifts to greet the summer.

Thanks for looking and commenting.  :)

Rob

PS  I've replaced the crappy phone photo with a new one taken outside in daylight. It's much better.

ArtGalCBGMichaelDGTORichard_PJan_DBarryCAbstractionJerryWkaustavMLoushkaBuckyanweshaNotACatdencalAllieRUESGAPaulBGary_Heath

Comments

• edited November 15
    Thanks @ArtGal. It will look a but different when I can get a decent photo.  :)

(Edit: Photo now replaced with a better one.)
  • Oh wow, with that sky this has to be one of my favourites of yours @tassieguy

Superb.

:) 

tassieguy
  • This has a more expansive feeling to it than the other paintings.  I like it a lot. 
    What kind of lens did you use when taking the photo?
    tassieguy
  • I like this a lot too, especially the clouds. I do find my eye constantly going to the bottom of the picture instead of to the distance though. Not sure if that was intentional?
    tassieguy
  • Richard_P said:
    I like this a lot too, especially the clouds. I do find my eye constantly going to the bottom of the picture instead of to the distance though. Not sure if that was intentional?
    I find my eye goes from the bottom then through the landscape and briefly into the sky and then back down again... for me I glance at the bottom in order to take that first step... because I want so much to get going into the landscape!

Well done @tassieguy !
    tassieguy
  • edited November 14
    Thanks @MichaelD, @GTO, @RichardP and @CBG. Much appreciated.  :)

I've replaced the photo with a much better one taken outside in daylight. Even so, the camera hasn't picked up all the subtle shadows in the snow. At least all that glare at the top is now gone. 
  • Beautiful sky @tassieguy i love the flow the painting has. 
    tassieguy
  • @tassieguy this is a genuine masterpiece. This needs more promo on Insta and FB. This is no less than Pieter Bruegel's winter painting. 
    Abstractiontassieguy
  • Thanks very much, @KaustavM. That's high praise, indeed.

It will be in my annual exhibition in January.  :)
  • Love the perspective on this one - the series needed one that reached out into the distance. I've always loved compositions that split you between a reason to look at the close foreground and then up into vast distance.
    tassieguy
  • Thanks, @Abstraction. Yes, I tried to join the foreground and background by the flattened "S" shape of the snow drift. I'm happy you think it works as a composition.  :)
  • It looks magnificent….I love how you've painted the main body of snow…it adds a lot of drama.
  • edited November 14
    tassieguy said:
    Yes, I tried to join the foreground and background by the flattened "S" shape of the snow drift.
    I can't recall a composition quite like this. I think it operates in an unconsciously physical way.
    Always, every person when traversing hills wants to reach the edge to look out and down into the valley. The tension here is that you've hung the clouds out there but we're not quite in position to see it. So part of us wants to move forward to see what's teasingly over the edge but there's this more immediate steepness of the drift before us - our body subconsciously can feel the immediacy of that and the effort it will take to get up. That's the order I think the eye takes. The foreground bush and line of the drift (not the drift itself) starts in bottom left and leads your eye sweeping up - angled back across the scrub (part of the "S") to the sky. Then finally your eyes slide down the confronting drift before you and the snow finally draws your scrutiny. There is no straight path through this painting, it has that three dimensional tracking across it. If you keep looking at the mid ground your eyes are drawn all through it.
    tassieguy
  • edited November 15
    Thanks very much, @Loushka:)

@Abstraction, thanks for your detailed exploration of the composition.

You're absolutely right about how it's supposed to work. I spent  lot of time designing it.  In reality, the snow didn't start until about a third of the way up the picture - there was just a dark, formless jumble of rock and scrub in the closest foreground, so I decided to cover that by extending the snow right down to the bottom of the picture to open a path through, and to form that "S" to lead the viewer through the picture to the landscape beyond the crest of the drift and, finally, to the cloud.

I'm happy you think it works.  :)
    Abstraction
  • Very beautiful, @tassieguy I agree with others that the sky is superb! Everything about the composition works together beautifully. Great work! 
    tassieguy
  • Thanks a lot, @Bucky. I'm glad you think that the composition works.  :)
  • beautiful composition.... the clouds look very real... because don't always have those circular bulbous appearance we see in many paintings but tattered and formless most times like in this painting...

i really have a lot of problem photographing white as all the subtlety in values or temperature is lost in the photograph especially if there is some contrasting very dark parts in the composition... and so the snow on the right side that looks quite the same color and value is am sure not so in the real painting.
    tassieguy
  • edited November 16
    Thanks, @Anwesha.

You're right, there's a lot of variation in the snow the camera won't pick up. I've noticed this with all the snow paintings I've photographed and posted. In this painting, the drift has a definite crest, and there is a lot of subtle variation in the rest of the snow, but they are hardly discernible in the photo above.  I'd do  course in photography but I'm too busy painting.  :)

Thanks again for your comment.  :)
  • More brilliance, and I’m not talking about the snow. I appreciate the difficulties of capturing the subtleties with a photo, but that’s a good thing - makes the artwork even more special. You have mastered that alpine veg too. 
    tassieguy
  • edited November 16
    Thanks very much, @Roxy. Much appreciated.  :)

I see it's cold where you are, too. Yesterday, mid-November mind, when spring should be in full swing, I had a couple of inches of snow on my house. Coldest November day in over 60 years. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the car up the drive without it sliding back down and into the house. It took all winter to get cold enough to start snowing and now we're nearly in summer, it can't stop snowing. Climate's gone nuts.  :/

I'm happy you think the painting works. Thanks again.  :)

Rob
  • Just beautiful! I absolutely love the subtle shifts in the background mountains and sky!
    tassieguy
  • Thanks very much, @Allie. Much appreciated.  :)
  • I know you're wanting to know with your paintings, does it work?  

And from my humble perspective, it 100% does.  I think I speak for all of us when I say it's a delight to look at your clouds.  That's what clouds really look like, not the saturated things I paint haha

You did awesome here.
    tassieguy
  • @tassieguy

The more I look at this one the more I like it.  The composition is sublime but it goes beyond the standard passive invitation for the eyes, it grabs me as a viewer and engages me with an urge to step into it unlike almost any other work I can recall.  This one you need to keep or sell only at a much greater price … it is a masterpiece.
    tassieguy
  • Thanks very much, @CBG.  Much appreciated.

The funny thing is that, although it's large, I did this one quicker than all the others in the series so far. The one I'm doing now will be even quicker. It took most of the year but, hopefully, I've now found my feet with this series. (With just 6 weeks before the exhibition opens.  Yikes!)  I had to learn how to paint snow. It took a while but I eventually figured out that, even though snow is brilliant white, I had to keep the paint thin otherwise you lose the tooth of the canvas and it becomes as slippery as an ice skating rink. I've learned to keep the thick paint just for the areas of very highest value.

I don't have any say in the price the gallery puts on my pictures but each year they've raised the prices. But, honestly, I'm happy to be getting anything. I have to pinch myself sometimes to believe people buy my stuff. I'd like to keep some of my better ones but my house is already full of paintings. Best someone buys them so I can afford more canvas and paint. 

Thanks again for your very encouraging comment, @CBG:)
    CBGAbstraction
  • edited November 20
    Wonderful composition and beautiful subtle color. The balance of chroma throughout works very well.  The painting really draws me in and back and around with many details to investigate.  👍🏼👍🏼
    tassieguy
  • Thanks very much, @PBarrie. Much appreciated. :)
  • These works are wonderful :D
    tassieguy
  • the density of the bush in the foreground and the darker blue shadow under there are REALLY nice, really draws my eye.
    tassieguy
  • Thanks very much, @StephanHM. Much appreciated.  :)