Liquin leaving shiny spots

First, my apologies if this has been covered but after an hour of searching on this forum and others, I still haven't found an answer to a specific question:
When I use Liquin as a medium there are spots that are shiny and some that are not (probably because the Liquin was distributed evenly when cleaning) that are especially noticeable on dark backgrounds. Is there a way to get rid of these shiny inconsistencies–that is, without repainting the background?

Comments

• Robynala

Welcome to the Forum.

A common issue. All will be made good when the final varnish is applied.

To check what the final result might look like, when dry, apply a light coat of oil.

Denis
  • I am not a fan of Liquin, made of petroleum distillates.

Much prefer Graham's fully non-toxic Walnut Alkyd Medium.

Each to their own.
  • Yes, continue on with your painting until you consider it finished.  Dry.  Varnish.  The varnish should even out the shiny and flat spots.  If you are going to continue working on it, lightly oil out the passages where you will be working.  Final varnish should bring it all together.
  • It may be caused by several things:
    * Certain pigments such as umbers tend to leave dry spots like that. Is it the same mix of paint or different colours?
    * Inconsistent % mixes of the medium in same mix.
    * Different paint brands have different % levels of oil, different oils sometimes used, and various pigments respond differently.
    * Whatever was underneath that layer of paint was more absorbent.
    * Use of turps etc will cause dry spots.
    Possibly other reasons, this is just what I know. I'm no expert. 

Desertsky
  • #Robynala:
    Piggy-backing off what Abstraction wrote - 
    I sometimes have had this (weird shiny spot) with using just linseed oil, as well as with Liquin. When I experience this, it is because I have not mixed my paint thoroughly before applying it, or when I add a small area, as a correction, to an already dried layer. 

Since I have changed my practice to mixing my paints on the palette with a palette knife, not a brush, and then using the brush to pick up only the mixed paint, this problem has ended. If I use my application brush to mix the paint, or dip my brush in the medium before using it to mix the paint, then this shiny spot is a result.

I surmise that the shiny spot is caused by oil or other medium on the surface of the drying paint. 

Robynala, could you please share with us how you mix and apply paint?  This may be helpful to future readers. 
    Abstraction