Safflower Oil / Turpenoid

Hi all, 

A question about safflower oil: Can I use it to sorta clean my brushes during a painting session?

Throughout a session, I will wipe off my brushes in turpenoid. I'm wondering how to take better care of my brushes. Even nice ones, cleaned with oil soap at the end of the day, seem to decay or lose shape quickly.

Soon I'd like to build a brush holder and buy or make some brush dip. (Does anyone know what the ratio of safflower oil to clove oil is in that?) -- And forego brush cleaning altogether... 

Cheers, 
P.

Comments

• Many artists have completely eliminated solvents. They wash their brushes in oils - which is listed here as point 3.
    There is some discussion around the types of oils - such as avoiding non-drying oils. I don't know which is which other than linseed is a drying oil and safflower is semi-drying but obviously good enough to make paints with, so I'm guessing it would be a yes.

cabbage
  • @cabbage
    Turpinoid is harsh stuff. Gamsol is better but still can be harsh.
    I use Artist Grade Safflower oil during a painting or Walnut if using Graham paints. I wipe the brushes and dip in some linseed and wipe before a new painting session. Safflower oil can get a moderately dirty brush pretty clean. Don't over clean brushes. Use as little water as possible on bristle brushes.

I like cheap brushes.
    cabbage