Canon Prograf PRO-1000 Printer?

Does anyone use the Canpn Prograf PRO-1000 Printer?  

If you do, what has been your experience with it?

I've been debating whether or not to get into doing my own giclee prints as opposed to sending them out which I am finding to be very frustrating and time consuming.  

I know that the "care and feeding" of these things can be pretty intense.  I also know from the experience of several artist friends that if I do this, I should NOT try to see giclee printing services, but rather just use the printer for my own use.  It looks like ink is around $50 per color. I'll mostly be doing prints on canvas.

Just not sure if I want to open this "Pandora's box"!

Comments

• The printer looks good.

Are the inks archival.

The question is do you have all the supporting materials. Great camera. Manageable lighting. Top notch software. Storage for prints. Proofing patience. 

Are you willing to give up painting time for printing time? 
  • Thanks @KingstonFineArt.

The first thing I checked for is pigment inks.  I didn't look to see if they specifically say "archival" since I'm pretty sure that Canon's pigment inks are all archival.

On camera, I have a Canon EOS Rebel t6.  I got it with the two kit zoo lenses, but I also have a Canon EF 50mm.  My Canon t6 has a crop factor of 1.6, so the effective focal length is about 80.5mm.  

I also have a pretty good ighting setup.  I recently got some high CRI LED bulbs for the stand lights.  One thing I need is a better backdrop.  I've been just rigging up something as a backdrop.

I definitely need to improve on my portrait photography.  I primarily paint from photos and have learned the impottance of excellent quality photos.  I'm able to get the job done, but I thik that if I can improve my photos, I  can improve my painting!

For software, I use Photoshop and Lightroom.  Sometimes GIMP.  I have a BENQ monitor, so the weak point in my process is the printer.  I need a colorimeter to accurately calibrate my monitor.  If I go to the expense of getting this printer, I'll probably want a colorimeter that can help calibrate it too.

I think I've about talked myself into waiting on the printer and just getting the collorimeter to calibrate my monitor so that I have a well calibrated ICC profile for my camera through my monitor.  Then I'll try to work with my print company to make sure their printers are well calibrated to see how close we can get.    

Your questions helped me think through all of this!

• CBGCBG -
    edited November 5
    @mstrick96

I highly recommend DataColor for color calibration, although other solution/suites are likely also quite good.

I have calibrated my monitors and my printers over the years and it really does reduce the guesswork and saves resources (what you see on your monitor is closer to what you actually have, and what you print is closer to what you expect to be printed).  They also have camera calibration tools/targets etc.

I have the SpyderPrint and SpyderX units which are also sold together in a kit.  It's a little involved at first but once you get how it works it's a lifesaver.

• @mstrick96 tri

'I have a BENQ monitor, so the weak point in my process is the printer.'

When you have a good monitor like this BENQ is how do all parts work together.
    Using the paper icc to preview output. Color correcting that preview to match original. 
    Printing to the paper's icc profile means having you ps preview set to the same icc. In the print dialog having the printing color controlled by ps with the correct icc selected. 

I have a Epson WP7710 cheap print. But can get excellent color that's not archival. It's for reference not posterity. The printer is also an excellent 11 x 17 scanner. Can print 13 x 19 paper. It cost $150. It's my goto printer for 11 x 17 inch printing. Did I mention very good color.

This is the dialog for my big printer. Photoshop is driving the color.

• Thanks @KingstonFineArt,
    I have an Epson ET-2760 Eco Tank printer that goes for about $240.  It's for general printing.  I might try to see if I can find an icc profile for it to see if it gives halfway decent results.  I need to be able to print reference photos.  The 2760 will give me a large enough print to get the face on a page full-sized.

The BENQ is supposed to come from the factor with a good calibration that will at least get me started until I can get a colorimeter.  Once I get a colorimeter, I can at least learn the process.
  • @CBG, thanks.  Those seem to be pretty consistently recommended as near the top.  I'll take a close look at them!