My first plein air

This took about 8 hours.  I went to the location 3 mornings in a row for about 2.5 hours each day.  

Thanks for looking and sharing your thoughts :)

I apologize for the bad photo.

BarryCtassieguy

Comments

• Nicely done. I was going to ask how you dealt with the changing light, then read the text!

The establishment may be interested in the piece?
    allforChrist
  • Thank you @BarryC.  That's a fantastic idea.
  • edited November 3
    I admire your dedication, @allforChrist. I find it impossible to paint with people going by and looking at what I'm doing. I make quick colour notes and return to the safety of the studio to finish my pictures. The fact that you returned three mornings in a row to catch the same light shows seriousness of purpose.  I admire that.  And bad photos of my paintings are the bane of my existence so don't worry - our paintings always look better in the flesh.

You did a pretty good job with the subject, though. It's a pleasing scene and your painting looks like what is there. 

Two things come to mind that might help with future work. The values in your tree would benefit from some slight adjustments. From what I can see, the darks in the foliage need to be darker and the lights lighter. Also the front of the building needs to be darker and the sunlit side brighter.  There's quite a dramatic contrast visible in the photo above which I would try to capture. I find it helps to squint at the subject to eliminate all but the most obvious masses. Ignore everything else and  get the shape and values  of those important masses  right first. Then, once they are right,  you can gradually add details if you want.

The other thing I would mention is chroma. There's often a temptation to overdo it. I would tone down the blue in the sky and the red/pink of the stone building, especially on its shaded front. To grey a colour just add a touch of its complementary. 

Plein air is hard. But keep at it. Your on the right path. Don't get discouraged. It takes years of practice but your well on the way.  I love your flower paintings, too.  :)
    Gary_Heath
  • Really appreciate the thorough note, @tassieguy.  So that's what was with the stone!  I should have put a little blue and yellow in it.  

Thanks for your encouraging words.
    tassieguy