Cleaning hard brushes

All,
I had my right knee replaced in February 2020 and Covid hit in March.
I did not poke my head out of the house til January 2021. 
All that time I did not paint!! Lost the fire. I am working to get it back.

During that time I used Marks brush dip to keep the brushes in shape.
But, as I am getting back to painting some of the brushes are very stiff even with the dip.

Should I soak them in Turpentine?

Signed,
Mr. Groundhog

Comments

• In my view, no. Overuse of turpentine with brushes is not good and I think it can affect the glue hidden under the ferrule. I haven't used this but it's the kind of thing I would think of turning to. Interested in others' experience of repairing brushes.

• I use Murphy's Oil Soap to bring brushes back to life.  If there is dried paint in them, you can put some in a container, rubber band the brushes together that need a good clean, put some plastic wrap over the top of the container with another rubber band, then poke just a big enough hole in the plastic wrap to drop your brushes through it.  Don't let the bristles wrest on the bottom of the container.  Let them soak 24-48 hours.  Then rub them vigorously in the palm of your hand and rinse with warm water.  Then shape the bristles and let the brushes dry completely in a horizontal position.  This has worked great for me.
    tassieguyHunter1BarryC
  • If you think they can still be used them buy some kitchen liquid soap, soak all the brushes in them in a container for at least two-three days and then wash the liquid in water. If you need some more cleaning then you can use a regular soap. 
    Abstraction
  • Soak them in straight Murphy's Oil Soap.  Overnight if you need to.  It will bring brishes back from the dead!!  It works when nothing else will.

Follow the procedure as described by @A_Time_To_Paint 
  • I used dasty which is a concentrated cleaning liquid sold in supermarkets. I have no access to this murphy soap. Let the brush just sit for hours and saw the paint particles just fall off. Worked great.