Some paintings from the MET

I live just outside of NYC and got to spend some time at the MET yesterday afternoon. I wish I could go there weekly, but life with 3 kids keeps my schedule busy!  I thought you all might enjoy looking at the beautiful compositions and brush work of some of the paintings I saw; Here are some gorg Rembrandts, Singer Sargents and others. I noticed a pattern with the Rembrandt portraits that he really only painted one side of the face with detail. The other side is kind of smudged out. Really cool technique to showcase the focal point. I'm sure many of you already knew that, but it was new to me and I only noticed it because I could see all the paintings hung up together. My only complaint is that I could only find one Repin. I wish I could see an entire room full instead of just one! 

MichaelDA_Time_To_PaintRichard_PArtGalMarinos_88AbstractiontassieguyGTOCsontvary

Comments

• I agree. These are stunning!
    Allie
  • edited October 10
    Thx for posting Allie!
    It's such a joy to see these paintings up close, I hope I get the chance to see them once day.
    First one is Vsevolod Mikhailovich Garshin by Ilya Repin.
    His paintings are on a different level. 
    He's my favourite as well :) 

ArtGalAllie
  • @Marinos_88 right?! He is amazing! I actually just ordered a repin book. It is supposed to arrive by Tuesday. I'll let you know if it is any good! 🤞
  • Allie said:
    I noticed a pattern with the Rembrandt portraits that he really only painted one side of the face with detail. The other side is kind of smudged out. Really cool technique to showcase the focal point.
    I was taught this as part of a technique (Australian tonalism). Paint a single glance - not the way we look around with our eyes and take in an entire scene. So... single point of focus, the nearby slightly out of focus, the rest is peripheral and understated. That's how our eyes see. Rembrandt certainly employed it. I don't always follow this, but it is a beautiful technique to employ.
    Really love the paintings you selected. Sigh. Just lovely. I meant to put this at the top but I don't know how to get above the quote.
    Marinos_88
  • edited October 13
    Beautiful paintings, @Allie. I'd love to see them in the flesh. Thanks for posting them.  The Sargent is gorgeous but my favorite is the Repin.  :)
  • @Allie and @Abstraction - I never noticed this about the face sides before! Thanks for pointing this out. I continue to learn so much in this forum.

Regarding Rembrandt - not one of my favorite painters. For years, I lived in WDC, and so spent hours in the National Gallery there, with its many Rembrandts. I always annoyed my husband by joking that the NGA should trade a few Rembrandts for a Vermeer. :) 
    Abstraction
  • I actually super love Rembrandt . Up close I find his paintings just breath taking . 
    Great bunch of pictures . Thanks for sharing 
    tassieguy