Grapes color

Having a hard time getting a good mix for green grapes . 
What would you use , please ?

Comments

• It depends on the grapes, the light... lots of things. And there are parts where the light hits, parts where the light is passing through, parts in shade... sometimes that warm transparent gold oxide kind of glow... So I'm wanting one or two main colours that I pull in different directions on the palette. Cooler, warmer - then different tones...
    I find most colours in everything are low chroma, so whatever colour I mix I'm most often looking for the complementary colour to neutralise it, pull it towards grey, because even if it's high chroma it is usually only that in certain places.
    Did you try this out? It's all online, I think they give you 5 free recipes when you join. Select paints from one of the sets that is closest to what you have, upload the photo, click on part of the photo and it gives you three recipes for mixing it from the paints you have selected.

• Thank you !
    @Abstraction

Thst app is confusing . It says free trial but nowhere to sign up .
    Do you use the paid version ? 

I came up with this . I’m redoing some , as they were too green . Adding some purple too 
  • This is what I see on my laptop - create a free account in the top right gives this. I think they give a handful of free recipes, but I did pay once I tried it. I didn't know there was a phone app!
    What I like is that it shows 3 different ways to create the same colour, and approximate percentages of each. Even using a limited palette like Geneva or zorn palette it can help.
    I absolutely don't consider it a replacement for learning the skill of mixing colours. There is no replacement. Getting the value right. Warmer or cooler? Reducing chroma through complementaries, etc.
    I do find it expands my repertoire for finding colour mixing solutions.

Grapes are looking lovely.  Your ability to portray the overall form, the twigs, the individual grapes in cluster is really strong.
    In terms of too green - it's hard to know without looking at your source photo but:
    * My eyes are looking for more depth in the shadows - more contrast. It doesn't feel cool, dark and mysterious in those gaps, especially that one in the middle Our eyes love a cavern. It also gives you a wider value range to play with. It will allow you to bring even the light patches back in from the white and leave that for only highlights. A camera sometimes washes out what our eye sees - although I think you're painting from life?
    * There is a touch of titanium white chalkiness - and I think that's to do with you needing to go too light because your shadows aren't deep. I'm not sure, really. Others might know. I know some colours are better lightened with yellow than white - orange is like that. I struggle painting greens and wonder if that's part of it.
    * The true colour of the grape is between the shadows and the highlights. That's where the highest chroma sits (even if that's not very strong itself.)
    * I'm looking for warm transparency of the grapes in light (if that's what you're seeing.) Maybe a touch of transparent yellow oxide or similar. If it's not a warm semi-transparency in your set of grapes, what is it? I do see some warmth there you've painted.

• Not sure what is wrong with what you have so far?
    If you are working from real life the colours will change from one hour to the next anyway.

Or is it from a photo?  What green are you searching for?  The shadows, the highlights, the mix of medium hues which make up a whole grape?   

If you are expressing what you see, then this is your interpretation, not a carbon copy.   If you are working from a photo, the colours of the  image will not be the same as the colours of the original.    They are an interpretation that we recognise.     I suggest doing the same and just continuing to mix all sorts of colours till you find what it is you feel you are looking for.  What you have done so far seems to be working, but I have no idea what variety of grape you are painting, What the light was like when you saw them and what stage of decay they were at.

I am keen to see how you resolve your query.  It is looking good so far.
  • @toujours

I asked the question before I made these today.
    its from a photo and then I just kind of putter with it . Mostly using pictures for composition .

I have no idea what kind of grape they are !

I wanted that nice bottle green , very light , transparent grape but anything I mixed is either too green or too yellow . 

Thank you very much ! I appreciate it . 
  • @Abstraction

Thank  you so much : I think I’ll get the phone app. It seems worth it and yes , I agree : learning to mix the colors is so important . But this could be part of understanding it, too, I think . 

Your comment is so very helpful , once again.
    I think I focused on getting the brightest and lightest and even resorted to pure white instead of going darker . Rookie mistake ?

I used zinc white . I read that it’s the most “ transparent “ out of the whites . I’m not sure if that’s true . But turns out it doesn’t matter anyway ..
    or maybe that’s just for glazing ?

That’s all so good to know .

I am going to get some transparent yellow oxide .
    I used a little gold in there . The only one I had . You mentioned gold oxide . I don’t have that but I tried a tiny tiny bit of what I did have . I’m simply stunned you can see this . I hope one day I can too .

I think I should make a cheat sheet of chroma , saturation , hue , etc . Always mixing them up .

I so appreciate your comments 
    annie 
  • @Abstraction

Would you know : I found transparent yellow oxide LAKE
    Is that the same as what you me ruined ?
    what difference does “lake” make ? If any ..
  • The grapes look awesome!!  Again, I wish I could help you out, but I struggle with the same thing!!
    Annie
  • Zinc white is fine for learning but for more serious paintings it is not recommended because it has a tendency to form zinc soaps and crack.
    The transparent yellow oxide I use is Daniel Smith - it's not gold oxide, sorry - the pigment is PY42 which is yellow iron oxide and used in raw sienna, yellow ochre or mars yellow and many others. You can get much the same effect mixing any of these. Ah yes, that's the old holland version I think - I just looked it up. Same pigment.
  • The grapes look awesome!!  Again, I wish I could help you out, but I struggle
    with the same thing!!
    great : then we can both use this !
    allforChrist
  • edited October 4
    On the left is your painting with the colour stripped away. So... just the values.
    On the right I played with the tones a little very, very quick in photoshop - a bit careless, they aren't great - but just to illustrate deeper darks and smoother tonal statements. That's partly what I meant by 'chalky' in the sense that the grapes look textured when they are quite smooth. I stripped away a lot of the white on the skin so it only hits on the round part of the form closest to the light. That's what defines a shape. I think the darks help to punch out the form - but I'm not looking at your source, so just a guess.
    Maybe it's not the look you're after - but I still get shocked when I first put darks down and think I've overstated them, but with everything in place they help create the sense of reality.
    You can do this with your phone camera. Take a photo and strip the colour away and it shows your values - and this is more important than colour.

Marinos_88
  • I have painted tons of grapes.  I use ultra marine and burnt umber about half and half to make a black.  Then I mix a dark green with cad yellow light.  You will need to grey that with red.  You then vary  your greens either with touches of the black or yellow light adding small amounts of white as needed.  I create a glow in the grape by using  yellow and red light but mostly yellow and put that on the side of the grape away from the light source. You will need to add some white to it. Only a small amount so that it appears that the light is passing through the grape.  I will also mix a soft pinky color and put some blush on some of the grapes to give them some color. This is what I do and it may not suit you at all.  Whatever you do, please have fun.
    That’s very helpful , thank you . 
    I added a little purple , but it’s not what I had in mind . Though it helped a lot .

much appreciated!!
  • I have painted tons of grapes.  I use ultra marine and burnt umber about half and half to make a black.  Then I mix a dark green with cad yellow light.  You will need to grey that with red.  You then vary  your greens either with touches of the black or yellow light adding small amounts of white as needed.  I create a glow in the grape by using  yellow and red light but mostly yellow and put that on the side of the grape away from the light source. You will need to add some white to it. Only a small amount so that it appears that the light is passing through the grape.  I will also mix a soft pinky color and put some blush on some of the grapes to give them some color. This is what I do and it may not suit you at all.  Whatever you do, please have fun.
    That is a great answer.  I am sure lots of us will benefit from your advice and knowledge. Thanks