A pile of pears

I am trying to paint more like the DMP idea but it’s challenging to not do what I used to do.
Also not sure about the contrast and colors and how to get that scratchy looking vibe.

Practicing away still . 
Would you mind pointing out what to improve ?

Actually , is this the right place on the forum to post this ?
Thank you kindly ,
annie 
BuckytassieguyAllieAbstraction

Comments

• edited October 1
    Love the pears. But I'm hankering for a background and foreground that are part of the painting. If you just want to practice on pears then why not fill the canvas with them so the empty foreground and background are not an issue.  But I love the way you've painted the pears. Lovely rich colors. They look delicious.   :)
    Annie
  • I love the pile. Beautifully executed. The light really works. You often paint with the light coming at 90 degrees so all the pears and shadows are in a line. This changes that. The angle of light gives other dimensions.
    I particularly love the new one the light is so warm, and long shadows. The pears sitting on the edge really works. One pear lying over... This is going to be your best.
  • @Abstraction

Thank you . 
    Remember You wrote about fabric and your wife’s /women’s descriptions , compared to yours ?  
    In my view, you do this with describing painting . It comes alive for me when you put it this way and I get it . And it’s very helpful being more aware of what i am doing . Or “ should “ be doing to get an effect . 
    Im on a roll here . 
    Now I’m focused on the backgrounds. But while they’re drying hot layer number two ..I set up another one ! 
    Thanks again . 
    allforChrist
  • Taking shape nicely, @Annie. As @Abstrction said, the angle of the light and the longer shadows adds to the visual story. The pear right on the edge  of the shelf adds tension. I look forward to seeing how you finish this.  :)  
    Annie
  • @tassieguy

Hi!
    Thank you 

Its still drying for next layer .
    I guess I never post the finished version 😳.
    I will once it’s done .

I think it’s my first with actually more than black background !
    tassieguy
  • edited October 3
    Great! With a believable background for the pears to exist in the painting takes on an enhanced three dimensionality. And backgrounds generally don't need to be much - there's often no need for a lot of detail - just a gradation in values or hue to help us feel the space inhabited by the still  life objects can be enough.  :)
  • Yes, I like the second one, looks very good with the shelf.

At this rate you are going to become a professional pear photographer!
  • tassieguy said:
    Great! With a believable background for the pears to exist in the painting takes on an enhanced three dimensionality. And backgrounds generally don't need to be much - there's often no need for a lot of detail - just a gradation in values or hue to help us feel the space inhabited by the still  life objects can be enough.  :)
    Im learning so much from you all here !
    I’m kind of feeling guilty that I can’t comment much on these things myself (yet) . But will pay forward what I can !

Yes, the space the objects are in turn out to be very important too, just like the objects .
    often the simple things are hardest to achieve , perhaps . 

Thank you , Tassieguy. I appreciate it .
    annie 
  • Richard_P said:
    Yes, I like the second one, looks very good with the shelf.

At this rate you are going to become a professional pear photographer!
    I have hundreds of photos by now .
    people look at me weirdly when I pick just the right ones at the grocery store : i try them all . Do they stand up ok , how is the stem ? And I take many photos at home .
    I also paint from photos I find on the internet .

One day I painted a pear and never stopped . Silly , huh ? 

• Richard_P said:
    O...k....  :#  ;)

Did I say something wrong ? 
    English isn’t my first language . Maybe I just talk too much … 😬
  • No, I was just teasing you :D;)
    AnnieallforChrist
  • These look great, groups are always hard to paint because there is need to differentiation and pairs are hard to balance composition wise. You did awesome. I have trouble with backgrounds too so now try to force myself to start with them, at least as block in,, so that they are not an after thought.
  • @NotACat

This is my first worked on background . I find them harder to do than the pears !
    Thanks . NotACat. Good name 

• Annie said:
    @Abstraction

Thank you . 
    Remember You wrote about fabric and your wife’s /women’s descriptions , compared to yours ?  
    In my view, you do this with describing painting . It comes alive for me when you put it this way and I get it . And it’s very helpful being more aware of what i am doing . Or “ should “ be doing to get an effect . 
    Im on a roll here . 
    Now I’m focused on the backgrounds. But while they’re drying hot layer number two ..I set up another one ! 
    Thanks again . 
    I'm completely in agreement -- it helps so much when a member here tells me what I'm painting!!
    Annie
  • edited October 4
    Hi, @Annie. I like this one. I like all your pear paintings. But I'd like to make a suggestion that would help us appreciate your work more. After you've photographed the work, just crop it so that all we see is the work itself. Any image editor will do this for you.  You could also put a border around it for a nice clean, crisp look. The best free image editor is GIMP.  It does about as much as expensive ones like Photoshop or Affinity Photo. You can get it here for free: https://www.gimp.org/ 

:) 

• @tassieguy

Ok , I will look into this . Thanks so much